BAK theory

Guest morgan000

Guest Brett Campany

Cheers Harro, I'm going from back to front on my BAK study. Got plenty of time to do it in and when I feel ready I'll knock it over. Lots of things in there that's kind of new. Talk about "always learning".

I think the BAK study and exam will definatly be a "very good to know" kind of subject. Not really one to cut yourself short on, that's for sure!

Guest Ken deVos
Visual Flight Guide is out of print. A new one is available for download ( revised ) Forgot the exact number of pages, but it's a lot Nev...

For those using the Visual Flight Rules Guide [Ver 2, July 2007, CASA] for their study and PPL exam reference, be aware of the following errors and omissions:

pp81,238,239,354 800ft circuit height for helicopters (refer to NAS).

pp102 Declared density height Winter chart omitted but duplicated with Summer chart.

pp115 Beginning of Daylight Oct-Mar chart is actually the End of Daylight chart.

Also note that the TAF format (pp130) has changed recently and is described here

http://www.bom.gov.au/reguser/by_prod/aviation/TAF_changes_edu.pdf

Can anyone find more errors?

Guest Ken deVos
Good work Ken. Doesn't anyone proof-read this stuff before it goes out? Nev..

Nev, I think from the size and weight of the said guide, it is a companion to the ERSA and to be used to chock the other wheel i_dunno.

Seriously though and apart from the errors, there is a lot of useful information in the guide, but in a somewhat 'difficult to read and absorb' format.

The VFG is very handy because it can be post-it-noted (with captions on the post it notes) and taken into the PPL exam. Probably 60-70% of the question answers are in it with only a few being in the ERSA which you can also take in, or at a minimum it contains useful information required to answer 60-70% of the questions.

• 7 years later...

For the GA PPL exam you can book and write it at a test centre run by ASL. So you can do it independently of your school or club.

ASL does not mention the BAK exam. Is it possible to do that independently? Or only through the school? I think the school creates their own version?

Thanks for your inputs guys. It's the PPL I am going for. Where do I get this Visual Flight Guide and ERSA???

Hi Morgan

You can buy a hard copy of the Visual Flight Rules Guide from the CASA shop at

http://shop.casa.gov.au/products/sp161-visual-flight-rules-guide

And a hard copy of ERSA can be purchased from the Air Services Australia website. You can also purchase hard copies of charts and other necessary stuff for your navigation studies.

I also enjoyed this guys work on accident analysis and you might like to invest in his books

http://www.jimdavis.co.za/. Jim instructed here for quite a few years before heading back to Africa.

Kaz

Hi MorganYou can buy a hard copy of the Visual Flight Rules Guide from the CASA shop at

http://shop.casa.gov.au/products/sp161-visual-flight-rules-guide

And a hard copy of ERSA can be purchased from the Air Services Australia website. You can also purchase hard copies of charts and other necessary stuff for your navigation studies.

I also enjoyed this guys work on accident analysis and you might like to invest in his books

http://www.jimdavis.co.za/. Jim instructed here for quite a few years before heading back to Africa.

Kaz

Hey Kaz, that post was from way back in old time 2008, not taking the **** out of you just a friendly message 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Mr Darby reopened a very old topic not that there is anything wrong with that 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Hey Kaz, that post was from way back in old time 2008, not taking the **** out of you just a friendly message 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gifMr Darby reopened a very old topic not that there is anything wrong with that 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Thanks Robbo...but the answer is still relevant to anyone studying their way through a PPL now. The VFG has become the VFRG, Jim Davis had added an extra book to his collection and people are still looking for help.

Cheers

2008 is just the other day for me:nerd:

• Agree 1

Thanks Robbo...but the answer is still relevant to anyone studying their way through a PPL now. The VFG has become the VFRG, Jim Davis had added an extra book to his collection and people are still looking for help.Cheers

Yep agree mate, just thought I would mention it 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

• Informative 1