BAK theory

Guest morgan000

Guest morgan000

Hey guys and gals,

Really enjoying my flying, I have a whole 2.6 hours under my name lol.

I'm addicted and because I've been shopping aroound, I have found a cheaper school which enables me to try and fly once a week if my funds allow me to do so.

Anyhow, my question is in regards to the basic aeronautical knowledge exam. Are there any practice exams out there so I can have a go? Does anyone have any tips on passing? I mean I am reading the BAK book by Aviation Theory Centre and how am I supposed to remember the whole thing let alone pass the exam? What happens if u fail it? Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Guest pelorus32

If you FAIL the exam you are banned from EVER flying again and then dragged around your home airstrip by your heels 3.975 times in an anti-clockwise direction:;)1:

But Morgan, don't let that worry you - it's simply momentarily humiliating.051_crying.gif.fe5d15edcc60afab3cc76b2638e7acf3.gif

I used the ATC BAK book. I don't like it much I reckon it's verbose and cumbersome and doesn't dig in deep enough on some key points, but having said that I passed the exams. I reckon the key thing is to use the practice questions at the end of each chapter.

I'm not sure whether there are any other practice exams - others may know. My theory suggestions:

1. Read the relevant chapters in the BAK book;

2. Do the practice exams at the end of the chapters;

3. Note any questions that don't make sense or that you don't understand;

4. Take those questions back to your instructor and get them to spend 10 minutes with you in front of the whiteboard;

5. Read some of the other material that's around. I recommend the RAAus theory guide on their website - it's great and also www.av8n.com there is a guide there that is great for flight theory;

6. Read your ops manual - much of the Air Law is in there;

7. Read the Visual Flight Guide (CASA website - get the latest PDF it's free) the balance of the Air Law is in there.

8. Get the instructor to spend an hour with you before the exam. He/she should fire questions at you and get you to answer them. As you go you can fill in your knowledge gaps and explain any concepts that are still missing.

9. Ask any specific theory questions here - you'll find someone to spin you a good line at least!!

Don't worry about this. If you are passionate about flying then you at least have an interest in the theory. That goes a long way to getting you over the "theory hump".

AFAIK you just resit if you don't get through the first time.

Have fun

Regards

Mike

Guest brentc

Morgan you'll need to clarify for us if you're referring to the PPL BAK exam or the RA-Aus exam as they are very different?

If you're referring to the PPL exam, you'll need a copy of the VFG - Visual Flight Guide which you can take in with you (bookmarked) along with ERSA. Practice exams are also a help and you can get them from most pilot shops.

If it's the RA-Aus exam you are doing, refer to the previous post.

The good thing for PPL these days is that there is only one exam.

Guest morgan000

Thanks for your inputs guys. It's the PPL I am going for. Where do I get this Visual Flight Guide and ERSA???

Guest pelorus32

Hi Morgan,

ERSA is available online (but in pieces only unfortunately) at this address:

http://www.airservices.gov.au/publications/aip.asp?pg=10

You may have to agree to a copyright notice to get to the correct page.

The VFG is available in toto here:

http://www.casa.gov.au/pilots/flitgde.htm

It it a big document and may take a while to download.

If you want to buy these docs you can buy ERSA from most pilot shops - around $22 every 6 months for the loose leaf version. I noticed the other day that the Aviation Theory Centre is doing a version of the VFG so it is also available at pilot shops.

Regards

Mike

Guest morgan000

i was talking to my instructor today in regards to the BAK and he reckons its mainly from experience and things u pick up and a little of reading the book. he said the visual flight guide u dont really need it. he also mentioned something else which i forgot lol. what do u guys make of this???

I got my books from Rycroft Aviation Services http://users.vic.chariot.net.au/~rasbooks/services.htm

They are basic books but they pretty much cover what you need for the BAK test and they supplement your experience enough to get you by.

There's no practice tests in them though. It might pay to get a copy of the GA BAK book that normally comes in the student pilot package. Having studied both I believe the latter gives a much better understanding and also has practice questions after each chapter.

Bob

What do u guys make of this???

Hi Morgan000,

IMHO your instructor is only partly right. From my own experience, taking note of what you hear and experience helps only a little. Some things you hear may not be always correct and some things you experience may sometimes be misleading or misunderstood. Studying the BAK theory is a must ... there's so much in there that you won't experience first hand, at least during your early days of flying. A lot of understanding this stuff from first hand experience comes with time. For your own sake, study the theory thoroughly.

Paul

BAK Exam RAA.

I have never seen any sample exams & the last time I had to subject a student to one the actual exams (multi-choice), I was dismayed to see that they were out of date.

Over the years, I have found that extracting accurate data from reliable sources, (NOT what you hear around the place). Use ERSA, AIP's ,VFG, and SUMMARISE the rules in a compact notebook, which you refer to occasionally and keep current with, works for me. Include references directing you to the source, with each section as a means of checking that no changes have occurred, and expanding your knowledge if you feel the need.

The documents referred to are substantial, and you will need to pick out what is relevant. You should seek advice from a competent pilot or instructor as to what is required, or failing that, go through the sample questions in the books mentioned above, to get an idea.

Cheers Nev.....

• 2 months later...
Guest toose70

RAA BAK Theory

HI Guys, i too have just under 3 hours solo now and will be sitting the exam in the near future.

My instructor suggested i buy the Jim Davis book "PPL a practical book about flying safety" http://www.jimdavis.com.au/

I have found it easy to understand, and practical. He said that this should have everything i need to pass RAA BAK.(along with the flight rules in the RAA OPS manual etc). Just wondering if any of you have read it and would concur with my instructors advice?

I have found it difficult to get useful information as to what to study, even from my instructor. Maybe there is a market to produce practice exams or something ? :)

Thanks in advance

Andrew

Hi Morgan & Andrew, I think Nev's signature line says it all "you never stop learning". I understand the focus on passing the exams but don't limit yourself to only learning what you need to learn to pass the exams...I fear the approach to teaching and learning to 'just pass the exam' will turn aviation into what we have on the roads - people who are taught what they need to know to pass the driving test and little else...I won't get started on that otherwise this post will go for ever!

There'll be a lot of very useful information you'll need during your aviation exploits that the exam probably won't cover, learn everything you can from books, personal experience and other pilots...you'll never stop learning about things which you'll never see in an exam but will make you an ever better pilot and keep you alive.

Cheers,

Matt.

I did my theory exam (RAA) last weekend and I didnt find it too bad. Apparantly it was the "new" one, and i didnt come across anything that struck me as "out of date" (but I'm a newbie, so hey).

My study resources were what pelorus32 suggested above and talking to my instructor about any bits I was having trouble with. The BAK book was useful with its set of questions at the end of each chapter, as well as the practice exam, which really helps to gauge how well you've absorbed the knowledge.

My instructor also had a practice exam (for GA) which was also helpful.

I'd definately read the theory section of the RAA site though - there is some stuff in the exam (or the one I did) which is explained much better there than in the BAK book.

Good luck!

Guest toose70

Thanks for your advice Matt and Sain, much appreciated. I certainly feel that everytime i climb in the Aeroplane i am learning something new, and realise that this will always be the case during my flying endeavours :) My Brother is an A330 Airbus Captain with over 17,000 hours, and he too has often said that he is still learning :)

Cheers

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Redair

BAK Exams

Greetings each, I see a few of you are asking for access to mock BAK exams.... and others wanting to know which bits of the BAK book are important.

May I make a suggestion?

I would say that it should be the duty and the desire of every trainee pilot to learn and understand all that there is to offer in the BAK book. As pilots we will all hopefully continue to learn long after our first solo, BAK exam and issue of a certificate or licence, so the more that can be learned the better, and together with a professional approach to all aspects of flying, we will be flying towards a safer and more secure tomorrow.

Don't think of the BAK exam as something that is just an obstacle to getting airborne, but more as something that you can approach with your eyes closed and sail through, with the knowledge and understanding you have developed.

Remember:

Lower flaps

Lower gear

DO NOT LOWER STANDARDS!

Regards, Redair.

PS No I don't know it all, but I'm sure trying.

Guest morgan000

In regards to this, I have decided to stop flying for the time being and just concentrate on the theory, pass all the exams then get back to flying. Reason being is the school I fly at don't cover theory, just practical, so I find it hard studying the theory on my own and doing the practical at the same time. Hopefully I'll be back in the air in a month or so. Thanks for all your help guys and gals.

• 1 year later...
Guest Brett Campany

I'm opening this thread up again because I've just done my first two lessons and already looking into my BAK exam. There's a lot there and it looks like a lot to take in but I'm sure that if you look over this book while learning then you'll have a better understanding because you can gradually put theory into practice and what's even better, like mentioned before, if you have a question, bring it up here or with your instructor.

I'm going to pick everyone's brains here and ask you guys the question first, only because I can only get to my flying school once every 2 weeks for 2 hours of training.

If you're learning to fly part time like I am, I think this will be a more efficient way of learning.

"What happens if u fail it?"

They take some of your brain cells out through the nose.

I bought a 2008 VFG by Aviation Theory Centre at Moorabbin Airport, should be available direct from Aviation Theory Centre.

I've certainly seen practice exam questions around, think ATC sell them. I understand the comment above but there are enough questions that you can't predict the real ones and at least they give you an idea of what to expect in the exam.

A very good way to plough through BAK fast is to join an evening study group; someone always asks the questions you were too scared to ask.

Hi

If it is of any help,I made a blog posting about my PPL Theory exam,with some tips and my experiences.You can see it here:

http://www.recreationalflying.com/forum/blogs/pedrok/56-my-ppl-theory-exam.html

When I did my BAK, (for GA), the exam was a Aviation Theory Centre Exam pack. The questions in their BAK manual were very similiar to the exam.

To be honest though, I started off using the Aviation Theory Centre books and found them hard to follow. After my BAK I switched to Bob Taits Private Pilot Licence VFR Study Guide - for me it was much easier to understand.

Pete

I came across or otherwise acquired a soft copy of a superseded RA Aus BAK exam with answers and did post it here but understandably it got taken down.

However I’m sure if you PM me I might be able to give you more information nudge nudge wink wink say no more gov

I am currently studying my theory for the RA-Aus BAK and I hope to do the test soon but I plan to do my Radio and Passenger Endorsements at the same time. I have found a Ground Training Manual that I purchased from www.skysupply.com.au and it is called the RA-AUS Pilot Certificate - Ground Training Manual including the BAK, Air Legislation and Flight Radio Endorsement. It is written by Jan & Val Dyson-Holland. Each chapter you read has review questions and comes with an answer sheet. At the end there are then 4 practice exams for BAK, Pre-Solo Air Legislation, Pre-Certificate Air Legislation and Flight Radio Endorsement. The book also has a Study Guide and Progress Chart. The theory has been loosely based around the Jabiru J-160.

I have also found the Jim Davis book very good as well and well worth purchasing. As far as initial understanding of flight theory it is very well written and does not put you to sleep like a lot of training manuals do. Because Jim Davis refers to both Australia and South Africa, there are a lot of things that are more international standard and you need other theory to follow for Australian Recreational flying specifically.

Greetings All,

My thoughts re the RAAus BAK exam...

Just did the exam last week, and while I found most of the questions fairly straightforward, there were a few curly ones... or maybe my memory is not as good as it used to be! I passed with a reasonable result, but what this fundamentally tells me is that I have the minimum knowledge deemed sufficient at this stage to safely continue my flying training. If I had failed miserably, this would mean there were serious gaps in my knowledge, and it would be in my best interest to put in whatever time and effort was required to get 'up to speed'.

The aim, surely, is to have a sound understanding of BAK, presumably because it might come in handy one day :thumb_up:. Passing the exam is secondary, and as someone said earlier in the thread, the primary aim should be to be knowledgeable enough to 'fly' through the test.

In spite of the temptation :devil:, if someone were to offer to show you the Q & A, don't be tempted! If you pass by less-than-straight-up-and-down means, you really are only selling yourself short, and may be missing a vital opportunity to know what you don't know, while there is still time to learn safely on the ground!

Cheers,

Harro