Air Navigation system for Andriod

We are clear that there are applications that can be downloaded to ipads and iphones however Andriod devices are excluded which is odd as Andriod devices now outmumber Apple. I currently have a iphone but will gladly see the end of it in a months time. Does anyone know of a serious air navigation system that can be down loaded on a Andriod device?

• Like 3

Jail break your IPhone or IPad and get it to do all the things Apple don't want you to. Play flash and use any gps or Bluetooth device. Then you can still use all the cool iPad apps and others.... Naughty but nice

• Like 3

The Apple OS is identical across all apple devices, so once an app is written, it will work on all devices with that OS. Android OS is different across different devices, so a separate app has to be written for each type of device. hence, not many app companies will develop a complex app for many different OS's for different devices running Android. the app would then be far to expensive.

The Apple OS is identical across all apple devices, so once an app is written, it will work on all devices with that OS. Android OS is different across different devices, so a separate app has to be written for each type of device. hence, not many app companies will develop a complex app for many different OS's for different devices running Android. the app would then be far to expensive.

Huh? That's not right. The APK packaging handles the ABI / API spectrum reasonably well (I've not yet had a problem) and the design of the presentation API handles things like layout, etc, well enough that it is not a concern.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

All,

We have potentially good news, Air-Nav is looking to provide an Andriod apps of their flight planning system if there is enough response from aviators. This is a major breakthrough particularly as Andriods now out number Apple. All that is required is to contact Air Nav and notify your interest. You can stay up to date with with their facebook page or they even have a blog page to advise progress.

Allegro 2000

We are clear that there are applications that can be downloaded to ipads and iphones however Andriod devices are excluded which is odd as Andriod devices now outmumber Apple. I currently have a iphone but will gladly see the end of it in a months time. Does anyone know of a serious air navigation system that can be down loaded on a Andriod device?

sentient software is about to release its android app version of AirNav VFR

kaz

I've been waiting for a company to ditch the exlusive alliance with apple and start programming for android too.

Ozrunways have in the past denied being in an "arrangement" with apple and have even used the excuse of "dismal android sales" to explain why the won't support android!

I have refused to buy an I-pad to run nav software and will wait patiently for android support.

Looks like the wait is nearly over :)

Gnarly Gnu,It already runs on Windows that is how I use it for flight planning. I would imagine that a Nokia 920 that runs on Windows 8 should be a natural.

Allegro 2000

Windows 8 on phones and one of the surface models is different than your desktop Windows and applications will not be compatible.

The other one with Windows 8 pro should run all your desktop applications, so you may have to wait for it (comes out on 9th of Feb according to MS website)

You could also buy one of the laptop / tablet hybrids from other manufacturers with Windows 8 (Just make sure it's not Windows 8 RT)

Edit:

I've just checked it and there is no Oz runways or AvPlan on MS shop for mobile phones.