Which transponder?

Hello,Yes it is manufactured by Trig . A TT22 unit. I was advised to go the class 1 route due to the future ADS-B requirements by the Aus dealer.

I won't be happy if it is not suitable for our (ADS-B) requirements.

So Dynon don't actually make their own transponder ...........

Thanks Scott for the info about the stand alone "control box" set up.

I emailed the Trig people with the same concerns about compatibility as you have. They assured me that the transponders are the same all over the world. What differs is the ground equipment. The transponders provide quite a lot of extra information in what is termed the "Extended Squitter". Depending on how the local authorities implement Mode S and ADS-B some or all of that information is used by the ground station. Also, Mode S transponders can take position input from GPS units. Some GPS units also supply accuracy information which is used by the transponder and transmitted to the ground.

All that is to say that I don't think you will have future compatibility issues with a Mode S transponder (that meets the certifications) and the Trig does meet the regs I believe.

Guest Andys@coffs

My earlier comments around compatibility are related to ADSB not transponders.In the states ADSB comes in 2 flavours from memory RPT and high end GA equiv use the extended squitter transponder to send and receive the ADSB signals where as the bug smasher GA equiv use ADSB over VHF radio. That approach won't work in Aus...The reason for the USA approach is one of traffic density ADSB uses omnidirectional radio where as the old transponder used a narrow band antenna on top of the ground radar head and as such the amount of traffic "talking" at any time was controlled to those in the narrow interrogation beam. ADSB being omnidirectional means that all traffic gets the signal at roughly the same time leading to congestion much easier than previous. By splitting higher FL traffic from lower GA traffic the amount of stations that can respond has been reduced.

I would be careful with microair, last I checked (and that was a while ago) their transponder wasnt mode S capable (it may well now be mode S capable but check for yourself). I can see no logical reason to buy a non mode S transponder these days.

Andy

• 2 weeks later...

Downunder, I have a six foot length of RG400 left over from my Morgan Sierra project. If six feet is long enough for your purpose, I can fit quality BNC connectors to each end. Let me know If I can be of any help.

Regards, John (retired avionics LAME).