Canon V's Nikon

petetheprinta

Which do you prefer, Canon or Nikon DSLR'S  

12 members have voted

1. 1. Which do you prefer, Canon or Nikon DSLR'S

• Canon
    • Nikon

I realize not aviation oriented but i do use my cameras to photograph aircraft.

I have decided to purchase a new DSLR. I have always owned Canon in the past and I am retiring my ever faithful 7D. I had planed on purchasing a new Canon EOS 1D X which of course renders my EFS lenses to the scrap heap.

A mate of mine has just purchased a Nikon D4 and having seen it and used it I am tempted to buy. I still of course will need to purchase new lenses to suit. So not much difference in price.

My question is has anyone had any experience with the D4 and what are your thoughts on it?

My second question is broader, your thoughts on Canon V's Nikon.

There are better cameras but I have no interest in any other make of camera...thanks

i have used Nikons for many years, but it seems to me that their reputation for ruggedness has slipped. My first Nikon is still a usable camera, but the second , an FE2 was repaired several times and the shutter is now a mangled mess. I bought a D50, which has been OK, but nothing to write home about. I have several Nikon compatible lenses, but I think next time I buy new it will be Canon. My only reason for buying a SLR was the better viewfinder and the instantaneous shutter, and now there are a lot of lighter cameras with good viewfinders without the weight.

Really the answer to your question is personal preference and after many years I an biased against nikon.

• Like 1

I'm not an expert at photography but an enthusiast - I guess I'd be termed a prosumer. I used to toe my family's "tradition" of buying only Olympus, but for a long time I sensed that they're not as "with it" as Canon or Nikon and I may be missing out on something.

After years of keeping my ear to the ground and - once I decided I would take the plunge and invest in my first DSLR - after many weeks of active research I eventually settled on the Nikon D5100 and I have to say, I'm pretty chuffed with it. I have taken many excellent photos and tons more that aren't so great but it suits me fine and I'll probably stick with Nikon for my photographic equipment for a while.

But that's just me - there are many good camera equipment review sites out there such as "DPReview" and "Steve's Digicams". I'd suggest you work out what's important to you and your budget and then trawl the internet checking and comparing the reviews until you narrow it down to the point you need. Then, once you know which camera it is you want, you go hunting for the best price (bundles are better priced).

Good luck and happy shopping.

I have Nikon D90 I used to have a normal slr before but for the price I paid for the camera plus the nikon 1 touch 70 to 300 zoom and my std lens is a 28 to 70 lens...I anm very happy. My mate has a flash Canon one it does take nice pics also many more megapixels than mine but also twice as much in cost.

I'd suggest you work out what's important to you and your budget and then trawl the internet checking and comparing the reviews until you narrow it down to the point you need. Then, once you know which camera it is you want, you go hunting for the best price (bundles are better priced).Good luck and happy shopping.

Thanks for the replies folks. just so you know, Budget is not a problem. Both cameras I have mentioned above are similar in all respects and both will do what I need. I am familiar with the Canon product but not Nikon other than my friends somewhat biased view (Ford/Holden, Jabiru/the rest). I have read various reviews of both products but swings and roundabouts. I was hoping someone was using a D4 and could give me their views on it (pros & cons)...thanks.

I personally have always used canon, 7d is a nice body. Do you need a full frame body, or just want to try it out? I know you said budget is no problem, but a cheaper alternative to a d4 is the d800. Greater resolution, effectively the same size sensor (thats the bit that counts, contrary to popular opinion). Downside being not as good low light performance, dynamic range, and noise at high iso.

Shameless of me i know.... but... How much do you want for your 7d and lenses if you decide to sell?

Made the decision to go with a canon a few years back as it was still made in japan and the nikon I was considering wasnt. Not sure if this is still the case though? (believe nikon also had some probs with batteries.Think that was resolved though)