Club Fees

If you had to pay local club fees prior to training, at what amount would you choose not to learn?  

21 members have voted

1. 1. If you had to pay local club fees prior to training, at what amount would you choose not to learn?

• $100 or less
    • $200 or less
    • $300 or less
    • $400 or less
    • $500 or less
    • $600 or less
    • $700 or less
    • More than $700

It really depends on what the hourly rate for training was and the facilities. If for instance you paid $400 per year membership and training was $100 per hour against a school charging $200 per hour with no club. You also need to look at the aircraft on offer and availability to book lessons when you need them. There is also a misconception about schools paying Instructors and this making lessons more expensive. I know of a school where the instructors are all volunteers but the school charges a fee for their services. Ofcourse schools have to remain viable or we have no where to learn. I think flying training is relatively cheap compared to some sports. try getting lessons from a golf pro.

I know of a club that allows a school to be run out of their building with no charge. Students need to join the club when they have completed their training if they wish to rent school planes. This is because the aircraft keys are kept in the club house, if you want to get them you need a key to the club house. To get a key to the club house you must be a member.

The club fees in this case are less than $100 so it's not a big cost.

This is a mutually beneficial arrangement, the club gets a steady stream of new members & the school keeps their overheads down.

• Like 1

I think I know where this is going or rather comming from. I touched on this subject in another thread on this forum,"Why do people spoil things" post #7. If I am correct here, the club I refered to requires a pilot wishing to hire the schools A/C to join the club which has an entry fee and membership fee totalling around $1000-00. I feel this is a bit steep as I understand the club and school are 2 totally seperate entities. Therefore the school would already be paying the club for hangarage etc. I feel the club is entitled to make something from those that hire & fly but rather make it surcharge on the hourly rate which the school passes on to the club. If I owned an A/C and hangared it on the field I can understand them insisting that I join but honestly what do I get for my $1000-00 considering if I drive another 20min I can H & F a similar A/C without the $1000-00. Lets face it we are all looking for value for money in this day and age and $1000-00 translates to about 5 hours in the air!

Now you may well ask "why don't you just go another 20 min down the road?" well are we not always being asked to support the local man? I would like to see the club and the school grow but I can't see it happening at this time.

Come on guys make it attractive to join the club, would you rather have 1 at $1000-00 or 4 or 5 join at $400-00? I am sure you must agree the more members the stronger the club.

Again just my 2c worth

• Like 2