Another new guy

J1b

Good afternoon,

My name is Jack. Got my ticket about four years ago at KVBT in AR.

Moved to PA shortly after and haven't flown since.

I'm a 70 hour guy and really just want to start flying again, which is how I stumbled upon this site. I'd love suggestions on knocking the rust off if anyone has some.

Going to set up some time with an instructor at KBVI. Also need to get my medical. And then I'm going to jump on IFR and increase my time. Eventually hopefully either own or time share a bird too.

Looking forward to learning and hearing from people.

Thanks!!!

Jack

Welcome Jack! J1B hey... got any connection with an Auster? 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

I wish! But no. It's an old work ID that is easy for me to remember . . .

Thanks all for the welcome. Looking forward to learning more.

• Like 1

Hi there Jack!

One thing I do to help dust off after a while of not flying, or even just to relax after a night at work, is boot up a game on the PC called 'Aces High'. Its a free download game, google and you'll find it.

Its a WWII combat simulator focussing on aerial combat etc, and I love running up a fighter plane and doing all the things you need to do to get it off the ground and performing well. Landings are great as well; they need the proper compliment of speed, gear extension, flap position and engine settings.

You also get flight emergencies if you are damaged such as oil starvation or control surface damage, giving you interesting options about how to arrive safely home. I remember once dogfighting at 20,000ft in a Yakovlev 9u (Russian fighter) and getting the other guy but losing my engine oil due to a cowl hit. I shut her down and started gliding back over about 50 miles. The landing ended up being a bit of a non event, just a really long glide!

Of course the best thing is to get back into the real world flying - I fly whenever possible and am currently in the process of selling my plane to buy one I'm more able to afford/justify. Hopefully I won't have too long in the changeover!

Cheers - boingk