The Big One

This Sunday (weather permitting) I've got my final Navex.

Route planned is The Oaks - Mittagong - Crookwell - Young - Cowra - Orange - Bathurst - Katoomba - Glenbrook - The Oaks.

Question 1 - Is it normal to throw a diversion in?

Question 2 - Maps - I'll be carrying Sydney VTC, Sydney VNC, Newcastle VNC and Sydney WAC and ERSA - have I forgotten any?

Question 3 - Thanks to the advice given previously, I've been busy as a beaver using my whiz wheel, protractor etc - anything else I should practice?

Question 4 - Do I need to concern myself about SARTIME reporting?

Question 5 - Is it standard practice to update the weather enroute and if so - how?

Thanks for reading.........Doug

Guest John Mac

For goodness sake, show some respect and talk to your instructor. Just remember he/she is the one trying to teach you this stuff, NOT this BB.

JM

This Sunday (weather permitting) I've got my final Navex.Route planned is The Oaks - Mittagong - Crookwell - Young - Cowra - Orange - Bathurst - Katoomba - Glenbrook - The Oaks.

Question 2 - Maps - I'll be carrying Sydney VTC, Sydney VNC, Newcastle VNC and Sydney WAC and ERSA - have I forgotten any?

Question 3 - Thanks to the advice given previously, I've been busy as a beaver using my whiz wheel, protractor etc - anything else I should practice?

Question 4 - Do I need to concern myself about SARTIME reporting?

Question 5 - Is it standard practice to update the weather enroute and if so - how?

Thanks for reading.........Doug

Careful John!

Doug

It is most probable that your instructor will throw a diversion in as it is good training as you may sometime need to do a conversion once you get your nav endorsement

I think you have all the maps covered. In your ERSA put some taped tags on the pages that are to be used so you can easily find the right pages - anyone else help with the right maps for Doug?

Get some practice using your wiz wheel, protractor, ruler and maps on your lap while simulating some movement - just a thought

SARTIME isn't necessary with RAAus nav - unless someone else may correct me

With the weather it isn't normal to check along your route except if you stop somewhere along the way then it is always good to do another check OR you can tune your radio to ATIS if you can and that should help but I am not exactly up on this so other should be able to help with this one as well.

Lastly take on board what others say here and mix that in with what your instructor says - there are some good instructors but there are also some bad ones!

Hope this helps, GOOD LUCK! and can anyone else offer some helpful advice!

Guest David C

Doug ,

I have done that very same flight . I assume you will doing it non stop . If so be very aware of your fuel usage . From memory I think that flight is around 310NM and your endurance could be compromised if you encounter slightly stronger than expected headwinds on one or more legs . It seems as if you have done your homework , take the flight and enjoy .

Dave C

Guest Fred Bear

Judging by Dave C's quote:

I assume you will doing it non stop . If so be very aware of your fuel usage . From memory I think that flight is around 310NM and your endurance could be compromised if you encounter slightly stronger than expected headwinds on one or more legs

There probably will be a diversion...the quickest way back 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

On a serious note, the SARTIME does not have to be submitted to Airservices/AUSAR, notification to the other instructor at the airfield will suffice. Your CFI will probably do it but check if concerned. Try to always be on the ball as to where you are at any given point in time (as you should be anyway). The best thing with the weather is to check the aviation area of the BOM page on the morning of your flight to avoid any surprises.Failing that and you are concerned you can always request weather from radar.

JM - I have limited time with my Instructor and I won't be able to see him before the test this week. I've also been taught to source every knowledge base I can for answers and the depth of knowledge and wisdom here surpasses anything else.

I certainly don't think I'm showing disrespect in canvassing other opinions and I also recognise the importance of this final test which is why I'm approaching it by covering all my bases.

Ian, David, Chris and Darren - thank you for your positive contributions. I'll probably add a clip board to my list to allow in flight map drawing for diversions.

I think Dave's planning to stop at Orange for re-fueling - this was raised in the discussion last Sunday.

I have been getting the ARFOR for 20 and 21 in previous Navex's so I'm comfortable with that bit.

The weather and SARTIME were two aspects that I thought could be a factor - hence the queries.

Again - thanks guys - you've raised my confidence levels a lot.

If all goes well I'll get Dave to take some photos along the way and (hopefully) do a trip report on Monday........:)

Cheers.........Doug

Practice putting the wiz wheel in the bottom of your flight bag and forgetting about it ;)

You've got enough things to juggle if it's bouncy and rule-of-thumb and the calculator between your ears are a lot easier to manage IMHO.

Good luck!

Doug,

I'm probably stating the obvious, but ...

Another map you'll need to refer to, but not necessarliy in flight, is the ERC-Low chart. This is where we find radio frequencies needed en route. I make it a practice to note all relevant frequency changes (even those to just listen-out on while passing nearby strips) on my flight plan in such a way that they are obvious and timely. Plan ahead and set the next frequency into stand-by as you switch channels.

Also on my flight plan I note relevant ATIS and Flight Watch frequencies and use Flight Watch for weather updates.

Hope this helps,

Paul

Thanks Paul - I only had the frequencies listed in the green "clouds" on the VNC. Makes sense to list the ATIS and Flight Watch as weather is a concern (from my perspective) - More good info.... :big_grin:

Cheers........Doug

Guest Fred Bear
If all goes well I'll get Dave to take some photos along the way

I didn't know he could use a camera 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif Good on the old bloke!

Guest Sabre

dlps73,

Keep those questions coming. I am also a student and enjoy questions and answers in this forum and I learn a lot from them

I came to this forum because of its positive attitude and that no question is a silly question.

If we had JM's attitude then we wouldn't have half the topics on the forum.

Can't wait for your updated posts on your Navx.

Cheers

Guest Fred Bear
If we had JM's attitude then we wouldn't have half the topics on the forum.

I was going to say something this morning but thought, no it's cool. I get into too much trouble of late.That and my post count will be 10,000 by the end of the year :confused: Appears John Mac is gone now anyway??? No question is a stupid question and I think that's one of this boards strong points. Ask away.

just a quick question, does cross country training include 1 in 60 rules?

I was taught the 1 in 60 rule when I did my xcountry but for the life of me I can't remember how it went - wasn't it something about at a given point if you are offtrack you use the rule to apply to your next track.

I really must book myself in for a refresher xcountry course the manual way instead of relying on the GPS or IFR (I Follow Roads or I Follow Railways) so much

Guest pelorus32
Did not those interesting characters have a numbering system using base 60?.Davidh

David is this some sort of secret US CIA base that I don't know about - Base 60? Do the Yanks have bases in Babylon?

Regards

Mike

60 is a very flexible number, which is no doubt why the Babylonians used it for so many of their operations, and if we are to believe the few, then that would be a very good reason to operate their entire numerical system in base 60. I would just love to know what symbols they used once they had used all standard numbers, so after they moved from 0 to 9, what did they do then? In base 16 they go on from A to F, in base 60, the entire alphabet isn't even enough!

You meet all kinds in this aviation game. Historians, anthropologists, mathematicians, theologians ...

Now I know why I left school at fourteen. I was waiting for flying forums to be invented.

Keep it up, fellas. Between you and Wikipedia, I'm going to be an educated man at last! 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Cheers, Jim

David is this some sort of secret US CIA base that I don't know about - Base 60? Do the Yanks have bases in Babylon?Regards

Mike

Well Yes.

Since Babylon is/was in what is now known as Iraq

Davidh

60 is a very flexible number, which is no doubt why the Babylonians used it for so many of their operations, and if we are to believe the few, then that would be a very good reason to operate their entire numerical system in base 60. I would just love to know what symbols they used once they had used all standard numbers, so after they moved from 0 to 9, what did they do then? In base 16 they go on from A to F, in base 60, the entire alphabet isn't even enough!

If you go to

http://galileo.phys.virginia.edu/classes/109N/lectures/babylon.html

there is a pretty good outline of how it is currently believed their notation system worked.

Davidh