Hi everyone

AM397

Dont suck out Venom.That is Holiywood stuff. If a person has a felt pen.Circle the bite mark.Before they put on a bandage.It gives a location for the hospital people to take a swab, to fid out what the venom is, so that they can take amediate action. All our field utes carry pressure bandages. Even if I was bitten by a Taipan, if do the right things & not panick.I will survive it.We have alot of training with this kind of stuff at work.

I think we may have scared him off. 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gifAlan.

Oh, no, it takes a lot more than that to scare me off. My gf, on the other hand. I'm not allowing her to see this thread.

With bites, people can survive for many hours and days IF they do the right thing.Snakes inject their venom into the flesh.It would be extremely unlucky if they hit a vein.As long as the person doesnt panic & run around like a chook with its head cut off.They do stand a chance. Firstly, STOP MOVING AROUND, BE STILL. If peeps dont move around, venom moves very slowly around the body.Next wrap the limb with a bandage. Tight, but too tight as it cuts the circulation...

That matches my understanding, Dazza. Unless it strikes a major blood vessel (a lady died in minutes because of this recently near Warwick) snake venom travells via the body's drains, the lymph system, which does not have a pump like the blood system. For the toxins to move thru this network seems to rely in tissues like muscle groups moving against each other. Solution: stop this movement, with splints and pressure bandages.

Better still, avoid the bloody things. Most of them will avoid you.

• Like 1

Another thing worth mentioning. 50% of venomous snake bites are dry bites. That means, only half the time, the snake injects venom. As Old Koreelah has mentioned.Leave them alone. Most people are bitten trying to kill the snake.Also if they are cornered, they will try and strike.Also people are bitten by accidently standing on a snake because they didnt see it.Really have a good look around when out in the bush and even around home.

For those not bored to death by this thread, snakes turn dogs into expensive pets. Our daughter's enormous German shepherd is staying with us for a month, just as snakes are getting out and about. We dare not let him wander about the paddock. A neighbour's terrier attacked one brown snake too many recently. Vet fees could have bought a cheap aeroplane, and the mutt still keeled over.

Ooh, very nice pool!I know that I can't just buy a house and that's it. I either have to buy some land and build a house on it, or buy a house and either demolish it and build a new, or "develop" the site (renovate, basically).

The standing up part was perhaps a bit convoluted, but it was a reference to "Hi, I'm Xxxx, and I'm an alcoholic", and since I don't have that addiction, I would merely be able to say "And I'm standing up". Not particular funny. Especially not when it's explained, he, he.

G'day Andre,

What, a journalist and from Dansk, and still standing up? Now that really does set you apart!!

If you make it to Australia you will really enjoy the contrast from your home country flying wise.

My daughter had a exceeding enjoyable year in Denmark on Rotary Exchange a few years ago based around Greve.

Here is hoping that you will be able to occupy some of our airspace soon.

Big place here. Lotsa dust desert, coastline. black bush flies, mosquitos venomous snakes crocodiles, sharks, red back spiders funnel web spiders, lawyers, stingers in the water, some nice people who talk funny and drink too much, and not a lot of dogshit and old bricks. You will find something to interest you if you know how to look. Nev

I used to boulder and also did that when I went to Australia. It was quite unnerving at times to find a rock and start climbing from a lying down position, worrying about spiders and snakes.

Narem, I spent my teenage years in Greve. I lived there from I was thirteen to I was twenty!