About myself

Rolf

Rolf

55Years old married 2 children and OPI too 2 lovely grand children.

Darwin NT

Started to get into flying with RC planes a couple of years ago to share a hobby with my grandson until my misses decided that \i am too old to fly toys and gave me a voucher for some flying lessons.

Here |I am with my Recreational license and 40 hours on a Jabiru.

Love golden age planes and am considering buying a Piepenpol Aircamper.

I would like some adviseon

How well does a wooden plane stand up against the high humidity and temperatures off the Topend.

How suitable is that type of plane for a beginner and last not least as we only have a sealed runway at MKT, how suitable is the aircamper for a sealed strip.

All comments will be appriciated to help me to make a more considered decision

THX

Rolf,

The timber in the aircamper should be well sealed by a epoxy varnish (min 2 coats) prior to putting on the fabric. The epoxy varnishes are very strong and so it should hold up to the top end. Just make sure she has lots of drain grommets and they are clear.

Are you thinking of buying one out of the US or have you found one for sale in Oz??

There are a few builders of Pietenpols lurking on this site apart from myself (bubbleboy for one). I've finished all the wing ribs and will be buying more spruce and getting on with the Tail feathers come christmas break (mid DEC).

If you search out the Peter Johnson website (http://www.cpc-world.com/) he has built one Pietenpol (and then sold it) and has just bought another one from the US, so he may be able to advise on the rough costs and logistics for importing one.

Hope this helps

Phil

Rolf55Years old married 2 children and OPI too 2 lovely grand children.

Darwin NT

Started to get into flying with RC planes a couple of years ago to share a hobby with my grandson until my misses decided that \i am too old to fly toys and gave me a voucher for some flying lessons.

Here |I am with my Recreational license and 40 hours on a Jabiru.

Love golden age planes and am considering buying a Piepenpol Aircamper.

I would like some adviseon

How well does a wooden plane stand up against the high humidity and temperatures off the Topend.

How suitable is that type of plane for a beginner and last not least as we only have a sealed runway at MKT, how suitable is the aircamper for a sealed strip.

All comments will be appriciated to help me to make a more considered decision

THX

Good to see you on the Friendly Forum, Rolf: 098_welcome.gif.81ff07d492568199326e4f64f78d7bc6.gif

Hi Rolf,

I'm not a plane expert, but suggest getting one along with you if you consider buying - especially before bidding on eBay...

You might even find out the history of the plane from the guys on here!

Cheers

Mark

Hi Rolf...Andrew Carter is selling his Subaru powered Piet in Caboolture. Very nice flyer! Andrew took me for a trot last year in it as I am building one too. As Phil said...if the wood has been sealed you should be right.

Andrew is a really nice approachable guy and has started the http://tavas.com.au/

Scotty

Hi Scott

Do you know the one for sale on Ebay.

It is a yellow air camper Registartion 19-3566 yellow based in Cobalture too.

spoke to my instructor. He recons wood is not such a good idea in the tropics because of the white ants ?

Hi Rolf...no I dont know the one on Ebay although I did see it and thought it looked nice! Still would want to inspect it in person if I was buying it. As mentioned I do know Andrew Carters Piet in Caboolture. I went for a fly with Andrew in it when he had it at Somersby. Structually Andrews is very nice and has a rebuilt engine but cosmetically it could do with a little attention. Only paint stuff. I would of bought Andrews Piet if I had the money but I dont and hence the reason I am building one. Bit by bit is easier on the budget!

http://www.pietenpol.com.au/

As far as Ants in the wood work, im not up with that. There may be someone else on here who knows more about that than I do. I thought rodents would be more of a curse!

Scotty 080_plane.gif.36548049f8f1bc4c332462aa4f981ffb.gif

Also Rolf...this yellow one is a GN-1. Not a genuine Piet. It may have a J-3 Cub aerofoil and few other modifications. Mr Grega took the Piet plans and used as much J-3 gear in them as he could as it was cheap back then. Not saying its not a nice plane as it looks it but if your looking for authenticity, it may not suit you.

Hiya Nev!...yes im with you! In saying that though, the Pietenpol family sell plans for a steel tube frame but my welding skills are zero! Any way there is nothing sexier than a wooden plane! insane.gif.b56be3c4390e84bce5e5e6bf4f69a458.gif

The MTOW is 544kg if built to the Jim Wills modifications in the UK.