Planning my flight

Admin

Hi All

I am planning my flight that I will be doing this Sat which is Riddells Creek (Melb) to Port Macquarie.

I was planning on going:

Riddells Creek

Shepparton (fuel up full 130 litres)

Temora

Mudgee

Scone

Port Macquarie

Would this be the best way to go?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In fact looking at it again due to severe tiger country and with pelorus32's help does anyone have any thoughts about this route:

Riddells

Shepparton

Temora

Mudgee

Singleton

Maitland

Taree

Port Macquarie

Thanks for any help!

The revised route looks good Ian. Good advice Mike. Keep a sharp eye out for oncoming traffic along that low level VFR route along the railway around the back of Willy.

Hope the weather holds out and the winds chase you both ways. Looking at the forecasts you may have trouble getting home on Monday. Keep an eye on it.

Now, let's see if you can do it without the GPS and AP. And, I bet you can't fit 130 litres in those tanks. Our CT overflows just as we get to 120 litres, and that's from known empty, right down to the gascolator.

Safe flying,

Paul

And your wings are bigger then mine 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Thanks for the tip Paul - I am a bit worried about going up that thin lane from Maitland - do you have to stick exactly along the railway to Stroud Rd and Glouchester even if the tower at Williamtown is closed being Saturday and what alt is best to stay at to avoid any other traffic using that same corridor?

I am lucky that all my flying down here is easy over fields, small hills and big wide open spaces with no airspace problems.

Ian,

Even when Willy is not active the restricted areas are H24, except for R583B which is advised by NOTAM. So staying within the specified route is pretty much it. The VTC shows the levels for that VFR route as SFC/1000 AMSL for the southern half (D589A) and SFC/1500 AMSL for the northern half (D589B) so it's all low level around 1000' AGL (give or take a few hundred feet here and there). If it's variety you're after, maybe you can fly UNDER the occasional railway bridge :ah_oh:.

With narrow lanes like this and V1 you should always aim to keep to the right of the lane and hope that any oncoming traffic knows the correct procedure too. Head-on traffic should pass on each other's LHS, that is, he should be on your left and you should be on his left. The ERSA details the lane widths for you. Good idea to switch on your "landing light" too.

Don't forget to listen out and make your over-fly call for Gloucester on 126.7.

Keep you're fingers crossed that there's no wind as you fly this section or turb will be your friend all the way :yuk:.

Enjoy,

Paul

PS maybe you could take a pic as you pass over Pylon500's "work-in-progress" at YTRE as you go over. He might appreciate a progress report.

Guest Juliette Lima

Hi Ian,

Transmit going into and leaving the lane, and two other positions along.....be very conscious of winds from the west, rotor can be

extreme coming across the adjoining mountains.....otherwise anice trip especially the northern end.

Cheers

JL

Transmit going into and leaving the lane, and two other positions along.

Hi JL,

Is this a requirement or a personal precautionary courtesy? I'm not aware of any stipulation on this one. And, on what frequency?

Paul

Guest Juliette Lima

Hi paul,

I understand from regular users of the lane (I've only done four trips) that trx are made at East Greta, Stroud Road, Gloucester, and Wirradgurie. I'll make enquiries today.....also

When derestriced ,normal height seperations apply if tracking the lane...

I usually fly at 1000 and 1500 irrespective.

Again when derestricted,a number of club members overfly Maitland for the coast make necessary trx around Williamtown and turn North.....havn't taken that route as yet.

Would welcome feedback

Cheers

JL

THANKS GUYS - I was planning on coming back on Monday but will have to see the weather on the day.

I'm going up to make some final arrangements for the Flyin including popping down to Camden Haven on the Sunday so I will have to see what time I have left.

Ian,

Dare I say it ... if this weekend is your only opportunity, it may be quicker and safer (no time/weather pressure) to go commercial to Port and fly the Gazelle down to Camden Haven and back. At around $600 return on Qantas it's not a great deal more than solo ... but way less enjoyment 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif.

Paul

Wash your mouth out with soap there Paul - them there harsh words you are saying - have CT will cruise 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

I finish at ANZ Bank today so I do have some time FINALLY to get some things done and one of them is to do some more flying while I can before another client needs me on site instead of working from home.

PS - watch for my name in the bankruptcy pages though ;)

Guest Juliette Lima

Hi PaulN,

Re.your post in 'Guess the airstrip' page 6 #170....a similar proposal is being mooted for a strip near Gosford....is your suggestion re.Camden Haven wistful thinking or a possibility ?

The strip and location is a delight however limited hangarage.

Cheers

JL

Hi PaulN,Re.your post in 'Guess the airstrip' page 6 #170....a similar proposal is being mooted for a strip near Gosford.

Do you mean Warnervale?

I note that Aeropelican strip is also for sale. Now that one would be perfect for an airpark development ... scenic location, good climate, close to transport, all services available. Anyone out there interested in forming a syndicate to raise the $2.5m required to buy and a further $1m or so to develop?

Is your suggestion re Camden Haven wistful thinking or a possibility?

What bit do you mean ...

(a) - the forum buying the strip?

(b) - Gwen and I as caretakers?

© - moving to the area?

(a) Wistful thinking. Ian would want to fund it all on our behalf ;). That's probably his secret reason for visiting this weekend.

(b) That would depend on how much caring was required and how much taking we could get away with.

© A real possibility. We are about to head up that way in a couple of weeks to sus out the real estate situation with view to relocating.

Paul

(Better be careful not to hijack Ian's post or might delete us 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif)

Guest Juliette Lima

Hi PaulN

A proposal is being mooted for Somersby

(a) a syndicate buying the strip....and

(b) caretaker

JL

Guest pelorus32

Ian,

what time are you through Shepparton tomorrow? I might see you there.

Regards

Mike

Mike

At this stage possibly about 8:00am - I rang Nathan last night and asked if he would on Sat Morn just go over my plan with me as a triple check - besides I need to fuel up there as well.

Guest Emma Masters

Hey Ian,

You coming to say Hi to us at the Oaks and have a cuppa on your way???

Hopefully you can make it:)

If not have a safe trip...

Hmmm...interesting....any reason why you went up to Muswellbrook as I was planning to go straight across from Mudgee to Singleton - is there a lot of Tiger Country my way???

Anyway here is my prelim flight plan:

1.JPG.f866217b0de6b01eacfa80eb85b207ef.JPG

2.thumb.JPG.bd0f1122e5d282710e9cea1a8c709f08.JPG

The day we went across the cloud was 8/8 and sitting just above the ranges, going up to Muswellbrook meant we could get down the Hunter Valley without having to climb over the hills and could stay under the cloud.

There is a fair bit of tiger country up that way but if the weather is clear you can get up high enough to go straight across. Our original plan was to go Canberra - Bathurst - Maitland then up the lane, there's probably more tiger country going Mudgee - Singleton as the mountain range spans further up that way.

It is a nice run down the Hunter Valley though, all depends on whether you're after a quick trip or a scenic trip.

Either way, have a safe trip.

Cheers,

Matt.

Damn IT:

TAF TAF YMML 251635Z 251818 36018G30KT CAVOK RMK FM18 MOD TURB BLW 5000FT

TILL 24 FM12 MOD TURB BLW 5000FT T 11 11 15 19 Q 1025 1026 1027 1025

Yes Ian, spot on. It's actually much easier than it looks on the map. The railway line is very easy to see and follow, and the terrain is not as unfriendly as you may imagine. I managed to get the C-172 through there after Narromine.

Now, in the SportStar I would definitely have no issues. Probably follow the rail lines through the tunnels just for fun.

Ggg