Age Of Pax

Guest Fred Bear
I'm wondering is there any age restrictions on age of PAX in Raa resisted A/CDarren have you ever taken your Daughter up?

Hey Nev. No restrictions but pilots call on safety. Many children don't know what 'Don't touch" means when they are too young (daughter included) 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif I'd love to take her and I have permission to but she is only 2-and-a-bit so I'd like her to be a little older.Interesting topic you have started though.I have heard of booster seats installed in Jabs and all sorts of things 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif Don't forget, they have no fear the littlies. I will do it one day when I have the courage to take her. Maybe around the 4 mark.

Interesting topic you have started

Thanks The reason I posted this question was that I asked here at home the other night if and when I get my License who would come up with me.

My 4 Year old daughter Piped up and said "I will as long as you don't go upside down"006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

So I was wondering if there was an age limit

My presumption is that any age is OK provided that you have the INFORMED consent of parent/guardian.

You also need to be able to provide passenger restraint system that is appropriate to the age/size/weight of the passenger.

dem's my thoughts

Davidh

Darren you are spot on, the little blighter's don't know when not to touch as was the case for someone I know.

They were on short finals at a critical point of the approach and the child pulled itself up from the seat by holding on to the throtle thus pulling off power completely, the result was immediate, the aircraft stalled and impacted the ground heavily causing quite a lot off damage particularly to the nose leg.

The aircraft was one with two throtles either side of the instrument panel.

I have deliberately deidentified as much as I could in this post but I think that the message should be obvious to all.

Remember that the proper age of any pax should be an age when you can explain and they in turn understand the passenger briefing I'm sure we all give to each and every passenger before we take them for a ride.

If the person is a young person unable to understand a briefing (emergency procedures in the event of fire, engine failure or airframe failure) then don't take them it's for the good of all concerned.

Of course if we were able to take along with us a supervising adult then no problem but as ultalighters oviously this is impossible as we only have one or two seats, the pilot can't be preoccupied with an ankle biter.

What's the first rule?, "fly the aircraft"!

Rick P

If carrying younger children in a light aircraft you must ascertain the suitability of the restraint system, I doubt that harness systems lacking a crotch strap [i.e. a five harness system] are suitable.

Read this document from my 'coping with emergencies guide' and take full note of the extremely dangerous submarining possibility:

http://www.raa.asn.au/emergencies/deceleration.html/restraint

My thoughts: don't carry young children in a small aircraft, there is always the chance that even a minor accident will cause life altering injury to a child.

John Brandon

• 2 months later...
Guest Teenie2

I remember reading about this years ago,one thing I do recall is that if sitting next to entry/exit door that person must have the ability to open the door.Some young children might find that a problem.

I agree with Mr Brandon ,don't carry young children in a small aircraft, there is always the chance that even a minor accident will cause life altering injury to a child.

Last weekend after I gave the CT a wash and polish my two kids finally got up the courage to come up with me - just one circuit each. My 9 year old daughter loved it which I was very surprised about as when ever I asked her if she wanted to go for a fly, Caitlin would start crying and run off saying NO!!!!!!!! - but she did come up with me and now wants to fly to Sydney to see the Sydney Harbour Bridge.

My 5 year old son Lachlan only went up because Caitlin did but he sat there with his hands clenched together under his chin and refused to look outside - BUT it was a good start for him and it will only get better as he drums up more courage.

Corrine went up as well and again only for one circuit but wanted to get back down because of the kids.

This was a big leap for Caitlin and Lachlan and I hope it is just the start of many hours of fun flying together.

Hi Ian, I too had a first last week, My wife Anne for the first time sat in the AT 3 and we flew all the way to Bundaberg and back Complained a little about the headset hurting her ears, so I bought her a Bose, then entered a draw on the stand for another Headset and found out yesterday that I won, So thanks to Bose Anyway she realy enjoyed herself and so did I Mike

That's great Mike!!! A big investment with a pair of Bose for her so I am sure she will enjoy many more trips - perhaps even get her to do a right hand seat course - she may even then go all the way to getting her own Certificate.

The one philosophy which I live my life with is that what you do today will ALWAYS come back to you tomorrow - good thing when you really need it and bad things will bite 2 fold you when you are down - buying the bose for her has obviously come back to you - well done mate!

Guest disperse

The one philosophy which I live my life with is that what you do today will ALWAYS come back to you tomorrow - good thing when you really need it and bad things will bite 2 fold you when you are down

couldn't agree more Ian

Get them up early - as soon as they can fit into the seat belts and understand instructions.

Started all of mine that way, during the early 70's, and 4 out of 5 eventually did their licences - with 1 going on to ATPL.

happy days,

Guest pelorus32
Get them up early - as soon as they can fit into the seat belts and understand instructions.Started all of mine that way, during the early 70's, and 4 out of 5 eventually did their licences - with 1 going on to ATPL.

happy days,

Hi Poteroo,

a man after my own heart. What I want to know is how you have come out of the other end firstly with two zacs to rub together and secondly with your mind intact.

My fifteen year old daughter is well on the way in her training at the moment. It's leaving us pretty broke, goodness know how you managed 4. The other thing is that whilst I was perfectly blase about my own first solo, I'm not in the least bit blase about her rapidly approaching first solo. I think I need to see someone!

My hat's off to you.

Kind regards

Mike

Mike,

Owned a Cessna 152 for several years and that was the key to it all. When you can DYO the instructing, then all you need is an accomodating flight school, (GA-AOC, or RAA-FTF),who'll take a fair fee for allowing you to use their facility.

You catch insanity from your kids......that's why I'm still instructing !!

cheers,