Blog update: Twelve Apostles as PIC (finally!)

.Evan.

That is freaking awesome mate, opening the full version to read right now!

Would love to do that sort of flying - may do a gorge run around here when the weather gets better and try and get a few photos. May also put the good old Sensenich prop back on the Minicab for a bit better vertical punch.

Cheers - boingk

EDIT: Very good read and some great photos, must have been a blast. Thanks for sharing.

• Like 1

That'd indeed be one of the ones on the list, Nev. Theres a lot of nice broken country around here you can explore, especially heading towards Mossvale and Mittagong if you follow the trainline.

Only thing I'd say to anyone reading this is to be *very careful* of doing what I'm describing as the air currents in and around gorges can be very unpredictable, and also very strong. If you are flying a craft with less than stellar performance you may find yourself in a situation where you cannot outclimb the downdraught thats pulling you into the gorge. Obviously never descend below the sides of a gorge and always keep appropriate clearance from terrain. I would highly recommend not doing low altitude work around gorges in particular.

Other than that, they really are a grand thing to see from the air and are a must-do in my book!

Cheers - boingk

You are right about the air currents. If you use them properly you can save a heap of fuel. I managed 6 hours in a C-150 once, along the coast with a good nor easter. Not in a hurry. I was shark spotting, so low power used. Your Cont-65 should be a good thing. Should only use about 16 litres/hr Nev

You're spot on with the Conti, it can average quite good economy if I time things right. I budget 15L/hr for the engine and generally get between 12 and 14 per hour - that 12/hr figure is usually only if I cruise at over 6,000ft though. It'll maintain an 80kt indicated cruise at 8,000ft - equal to roughly 90kt TAS.

- boingk

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Gidday Evan,

Great post and blog-you have now talked me into a flight down that way from Wangaratta in our jab in early Jan.

Do you know anything about Peterborough strip and the town. I thought that maybe a good staging point to stay over night and then head to Horsham to catch up with some freinds

Terry

Hi Terry,

I've never operated in or out of Peterborough, but from Google Earth it looks like a nice little place to pop in to. Other options could be Apollo Bay (nice and close to the township) or even Ballarat for an intermediate stop.

Let me know when you're in the area. Maybe we could catch up?

Cheers,

Evan

• 4 weeks later...

DSCF7266.jpg.1bf8f28eeab30cd50454e58f40de2229.jpg

Well we did the trip and had a ball. Day1 was Wangaratta- Horsham on a hot afternoon and then Friday morning 4th was Horshan to Port Fairy with a 30 kt tail wind.

I thought we had a puncture when we touched down at Port Fairy because the glass was so thick. There was glider ops on and they were a great bunch and dropped us into town .

The Saturday morning we flew to Apollo Bay for breakfast with our friends in their Eurofox then back past all the 12 Apostles and some shopping in Warnambooll then back to Port Fairy- what a great coastal flight.

We then flew home to Wangaratta on a hot saturday morning. Great flight

TerryIMG_0495.jpg.1716c93fa57704e72ba58998a5467431.jpg

DSCF7269.jpg.81595ee7fcbb399fce2731aff5c01c0a.jpg

DSCF7273.jpg.8d0b0b55e149fefdeaee06c3ebe5771f.jpg

IMG_0489.jpg.0635c4ee72ae591cac7a6363ba280250.jpg

• Like 4