L2 Training

Teckair

sign off on any aircraft registered in the RAA system without holding a type-specific endorsement

Unfortunately, this is the mindset driven by CASA.

From my point of view, the L2 is signing off on a 'type specific', the type is Ultralight.

If you try to make it any more complicated than that, your back to my earlier comment of pricing ourselves out of existence.

Our whole being, as an association downwards, is to be affordable.

• Like 3

Most L2 which have been granted in the last few years are restricted to specific types or genres of aircraft. They are also often initially issued for line maintenance only.

In my experience they certainly aren't just available on application.

As has been previously noted, L2 only look after a small percentage of the fleet. For non-school planes its up to the owner to do it himself or to get someone else competent to help him.

Our freedoms come with responsibilities - that's what the L1 on your pilot cert means !

Cheers

John

The L2 course at Clifton was run by Steve Bell and Trevor Bange, plus an experienced LAME from Toowoomba. The course was spread over five days, with practical work mainly on Trevor's fleet of Jabiru and Drifter. No one was promised a L2 and in fact most course participants received a Restricted L2 approval with future progression to based on RA Aus Technical assessment of work recorded in their L2 logbook.

The L2 course at Clifton was run by Steve Bell and Trevor Bange, plus an experienced LAME from Toowoomba. The course was spread over five days, with practical work mainly on Trevor's fleet of Jabiru and Drifter. No one was promised a L2 and in fact most course participants received a Restricted L2 approval with future progression to based on RA Aus Technical assessment of work recorded in their L2 logbook.

Thanks for that Bruce. Nice to get some balance after some of the miss information seen on this thread.

Thanks for that Bruce. Nice to get some balance after some of the miss information seen on this thread.

True...

How long ago was that course run now? And what sort of follow up has there been with the participants?

True...How long ago was that course run now? And what sort of follow up has there been with the participants?

According to the poster it was not a two day weekend as has been posted previously, I fail to see what is to be gained by running our selves down inaccurately. I do not believe we have a major problem with L2s but have seen some concerning issues with L1s. Maybe some participants can advise about any follow up? and maybe not as it maybe too soon.