POLL: Do you use our News Reader

Admin

The Recreational Flying Aviation News Reader  

16 members have voted

1. 1. The Recreational Flying Aviation News Reader

• Just keep it as it is
    • Enhance it (I will post my thoughts to enhance it)
    • I don't/wouldn't use it anyway
    • Replace it with something much better (I will post my thoughts)

I am trying to ascertain whether to keep the Recreational Flying Aviation News Reader in the upcoming site update? For those that may not have even known that it is available on the site, you can find it here:

http://www.recreationalflying.com/news/

It is a great way, or so I think, to be able to read through all the aviation news from around the world in one place and without even having to leave this site. You can view ALL the news or you may prefer just to view the news items from specific sources by simply clicking that source from the sub menu that is displayed.

The Recreational Flying Aviation News Reader is unique in that I designed it and then paid an external developer to code it to my specifications so it is OUR OWN. The options are to keep it as it is, enhance it by ??? (please say how), remove it or replace it with something altogether better?

What say you?

I didn't know it existed... I regularly read "The Headlines" (Latest one from Google News on Hoaxes) when I visit the site for the first time on any day.

If I knew it was there I probably would use it... or at least check it to see if there is anything interesting.

Edit: Just noticed that the link you provided is all the extra stories below the main story. So I guess I do use it regularly... perhaps just needs a little enhancement to draw the eye to the stories further down?

B or D for my votes. (I can't vote for both)

I do use it in the general news context, but find that it has a hell of a lot of repeat information (same story, different sources).

In the general reader ( http://www.recreationalflying.com/forums/recreational-flying-aviation-news.19/ )it would be nice to see enough smarts in the system to do an simple ASCII text compare of the first 50 or so characters of each article looking for a better than 90% match, equaling a duplicate of the same article, and simply not including that copy in the news results.

I realise there may be a perceived issue with HUGE long searches, but news is news, and is only really "current" for say the last 7 days and this would only be the depth you would need to go to (7 days worth of results). This would cut down about 98% (on general observation/guesstimation) of duplicates.

If there are people are not using it I would suggest that this area of usability would be the main reason.