Some interesting data on US LSA accidents

Vev

I saw this on the Jabiru site regarding US accident rates in LSA's... it looks like the old Jab has less accidents than some may suggest according to this data?http://www.jabiru.net.au/images/LSA_AccidentChart.pdf

Cheers

vev

Hi Vev,

Interesting stuff indeed. I'm afraid despite working in acronym-happy IT for decades I couldn't work out what R-LOC was, so had to probe the web. For others in the same position - here it is :-

R-LOC is runway loss of control. These are overshoots, undershoots, skids, slides, crosswind incidents, hard touchdowns and all sorts of runway mayhem related to the inability to just basically control the airplane. 001_smile.gif.2cb759f06c4678ed4757932a99c02fa0.gif

Cheers

Neil

• Like 1

Yep... forgetting about the odd 'roo bounding onto the strip or the wombat hole dug last night, almost all of it is the result of pilot errors and these are mainly associated with insufficient practice to maintain/develop basic stick and rudder skills.

kaz

USJabiru has only sold about 109 planes as LSAs.

I am a bit suspicious of USJabirus ability to correlate facts into logical arguments. A while back they started talking about "fuel dropout" to explain issues with Jabirus running lean.

Guest Maj Millard

There doesn't seem to be any numbers mentioned as per the aircraft types considered. It is just accident statistical data. Obviously also one must assume that there are many aircraft types not mentioned in the listings.

So the one's that are mentioned, are the one having the majority of the accidents ??......

There may not be that many Jabs in the US, relative to many other types, but they do figure in the listings.

So overall compared to the others on the list, the Jab looks good, but in the big picture possibly not that good as they did make the lists ?...........Statistics are not always black and white, and you do need to read between the lines and interpret them............................................Maj...033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

Guest Maj Millard

And my point exactly as the above posted list shows........the Jabs only showing a 4.6% overall in numbers.............................................Maj...033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

I saw this on the Jabiru site regarding US accident rates in LSA's... it looks like the old Jab has less accidents than some may suggest according to this data?http://www.jabiru.net.au/images/LSA_AccidentChart.pdf

Cheers

vev

Thanks for that, Vev. Owners of Jab engines needed to hear some good news. The fact that the factory has this on their website means they are at least sensitive to adverse publicity about safety.

We live in hope of future solutions to current reliability issues.

I have always had excellent advice and spare parts support from the factory.

Compare that to the importer of my Ducati which I bought new in 1975. When bits fell off it- within minutes of delivery- I was told "it's an enthusiast's machine...you are on your own!"

• Like 2