Inbound to Sydney

frankmcm

Here's a shot in the dark to see what comes back.

I'm heading to Australia to catch up with my brother, who emigrated 30 years ago and now is settled in Sydney. This is my first visit !

I thought it might be good to know what the flying is like there. All suggestions welcome. I have a notion it may be possible to visit a few small airfields where there aren't too many turbos, see some aircraft, smell the exhaust, book a joyride, maybe even put a face to a forum member known only from posting online. Also interested in pointers to interesting stuff that I might include in my plans, such as aviation museums ect. My brother will know the usual tourist stuff, but he is not a flyer.

In Sydney from 25Feb, leave 23March. Hope to have wheels and a campervan (or should that be a ute), and make a 2 week circuit within maybe 4 or 5 days drive from Sydney.

So where should I plan to visit ??.

As a reciprocal offer, totally unconnected with the above, should any forum member happen to pass near EGAD , I would be more than happy to offer some air miles in my Jabiru microlight. The Mourne Mountains and the Glens of Antrim are especially pretty at the moment with their white coats..... Did I see OME somewhere in the neighbourhood?

In Sydney go to The Oaks Airport any day except Monday to see Jabirus (and on the weekend, Foxbats) in flight. The Oaks is about 70Km south west of Sydney and is not in controlled airspace so no probs flying ultralights with only RAA certs. Check with Daves Flying School 0414 740 766 - 955 Burragorang Rd, The Oaks and always good for a cuppa. The Oaks is a grass strip.

In the Sydney basin we also have 2 Class D General Aviation 'dromes: Bankstown about 20 km SW from the city and Camden about 60K SW from the City - both have Jabiru flying schools but seem to be much constained by regulations.

Wedderburn about 60k SSW is a locked strip with a lot of planes and managed by NSW Sport Aircraft Club.

Further out from Sydney there are a nuber of GA/RAA strips at places like Warnervale, Wollongong, Rutherford, Bathurst, Orange, Goulburn, Jaspers Brush, Morooya etc Most of these are asphalt strips

Perhaps I should include Egad on my next visit for the Hurling finals and a quiet glass of Beamish. Looks like you have a nice strip. What are the licencing requiremnts for people with RAA flying certificates (not Private Pilot licences) as most of us can't fly in controlled airspace.

Enjoy your holiday - maybe we will catch you at The Oaks

• Like 1

Thanks for that summary. I now have some names to google....... Now just where is The Oaks.

By all means let me know when next you are in the Oul Sod ! I spent a lot of my youth holding a camán, though the joystick has taken it's place nowadays...

So far as I know the flying club will want to see a PPL or better before they rent you a plane. Not sure how they regard a RAA certificate, but I can find out next time I am there. Or you could email the cfi yourself. Google ulster flying club.

EGAD has enough runways to cope with most wind directions, so yes, we are spoiled ! The main problem is rain and cloud.. We routinely cross the local Belfast and Aldergrove control zones, though they must be a lot quieter than Sydney airspace...

Best regards.

In Sydney go to The Oaks Airport any day except Monday to see Jabirus (and on the weekend, Foxbats) in flight. The Oaks is about 70Km south west of Sydney and is not in controlled airspace so no probs flying ultralights with only RAA certs. Check with Daves Flying School 0414 740 766 - 955 Burragorang Rd, The Oaks and always good for a cuppa. The Oaks is a grass strip.In the Sydney basin we also have 2 Class D General Aviation 'dromes: Bankstown about 20 km SW from the city and Camden about 60K SW from the City - both have Jabiru flying schools but seem to be much constained by regulations.

Wedderburn about 60k SSW is a locked strip with a lot of planes and managed by NSW Sport Aircraft Club.

Further out from Sydney there are a nuber of GA/RAA strips at places like Warnervale, Wollongong, Rutherford, Bathurst, Orange, Goulburn, Jaspers Brush, Morooya etc Most of these are asphalt strips

Perhaps I should include Egad on my next visit for the Hurling finals and a quiet glass of Beamish. Looks like you have a nice strip. What are the licencing requiremnts for people with RAA flying certificates (not Private Pilot licences) as most of us can't fly in controlled airspace.

Enjoy your holiday - maybe we will catch you at The Oaks

Go to Wollongong (near me) and visit the HARS museum, you'll be able to see a working Super Connie and Catalina up close (among other things).012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

I should have called you Howard, I was in Wollongong on Saturday!!

Well if you would like to come up the coast a bit further (12hrs or so from Sydney) to Caboolture airfield which is just north of Brisbane we have things up here that may of some interest to you, like the Caboolture Warbird Museum and the Beaufort Restoration guys , there is a Flying Club and Gliding club and some great places to visit like the Sunshine Coast and Bribie Island beaches.

If you come up this way and would like a chat or a beer or both PM me and I will give you my contact number.

Good luck with your holiday and have fun.026_cheers.gif.2a721e51b64009ae39ad1a09d8bf764e.gif

David

P.S

Here's a link for you to look at..

http://www.beaufortrestoration.com.au/

• Like 1

Thanks for that summary. I now have some names to google....... Now just where is The Oaks.... snip ....

Have a google maps link http://goo.gl/maps/4dgoX and http://goo.gl/maps/YAsOo

The Oaks strip, YOAS, is not in ERSA but is quite close to the Camden inbound reporting point which is over the top of the The Oaks township.

If you go to the 'gong (wollongong) enjoy HARS and the restaurant in the old terminal. There are some Jabirus at Wollongong as well. I trip to the gong on a regular basis to brush up my circuits in Jabs on a bitumen strip.

Where is your brother?

Enjoy

Col

You should have, did you fly in?

Flew into Sydney in the Dash 8 Friday afternoon... was going to track a few of you down but ran out of time! Would have been good, was at the Quay Friday evening (Op House), the Gong Saturday morning, Camden in the afternoon, Mittagong that evening, Burradoo that night.... flew out on Sunday.

TOMO!!!!!!....Cut me real deep just now......

Sorry man, was going to call you like I said above but didn't have time! I'll be back don't worry....

This is beginning to take shape. I have been browsing the map, and can now pin down a few place names. I once did a primary school project on Australia, maybe 45 years ago, and I read "The Fatal Shore" more recently. That's where I picked up whatever tiny amount I know about Australia . So this is a great learning opportunity for me. My baby brother travelled a bit and finished up in Sydney. He is rebuilding his house somewhere in central Sydney, which fits well with his building career. Until now I never needed to locate it, but will be gathering data as of now. I can PM contact details as soon as I get hold of him online.

I find the indigenous place names in Oz very exotic, and am looking forward to seeing them first hand. Hope they are not too mundane. I am travelling with my wife and 10 year old son, so might not have complete freedom of movement.

Thanks for the offers from several people. I will certainly follow up.

Have a google maps link http://goo.gl/maps/4dgoX and http://goo.gl/maps/YAsOoThe Oaks strip, YOAS, is not in ERSA but is quite close to the Camden inbound reporting point which is over the top of the The Oaks township.

If you go to the 'gong (wollongong) enjoy HARS and the restaurant in the old terminal. There are some Jabirus at Wollongong as well. I trip to the gong on a regular basis to brush up my circuits in Jabs on a bitumen strip.

Where is your brother?

Enjoy

Col

Frank,

I'm over in England at the moment, enjoying the snow in the Cotswolds. I'll be back home by the time you get to Sydney. I'm based at Camden, so you are most welcome to come out and have a look around. I can offer your wife a cup of tea, and your son a sit in a Pitts, and maybe a jet fighter, helicopter and many more.

I can also run you out to The Oaks and maybe Albion Park (Wollongong). Nobody with any class goes to Jaspers Brush. I might even be able to get you over to Wedderburn which is a club field.

OME

• Like 1

Frank,

I'll be back home from England by the time you arrive. I can arrange for you to have a good look-see over Camden Airport, and drive you out to The Oaks. I can show you how to get to Albion Park (Wollongong). It's not much use going to Jaspers Brush. Nobody with any class goes there!.

When you come to Camden, we can drop your wife off at one of our shopping centres and you and your son can have a good look, touch and sit in several interesting airplanes we have at Camden.

I have found that it is essential to have an aviation map like a WAC chart to locate airfields as you travel around. I've had the Devil's own trouble trying to find them while I've been in England.

OME

• Like 1

Ummm... the first time I thought maybe I read it wrong, but then I see its reworded along the same insulting lines.. Care to explain OME? Is that what ive been doing wrong all these years? Hanging out in the wrong, uhum, cough, class??

OME

Wow ! Getting better and better. Will certainly take up this offer too !

Local flying today is barely VFR, though I managed an hour yesterday round Strangford Lough. I imagine its not great conditions for flying in England this week.

I can pick presumably pick up an aviation chart at one of the airfields on arrival.

In the UK you could do worse than download Skydemon Light, a freebie navigation program, which allows browsing and shows all the significant airfields and airspace.

Valerie is not the shopping centre type, but I am sure we can come to some arrangement for her amusement. She will be happier on a horse, so I will look for a dude ranch to drop her off.

Frank

Frank,I'll be back home from England by the time you arrive. I can arrange for you to have a good look-see over Camden Airport, and drive you out to The Oaks. I can show you how to get to Albion Park (Wollongong). It's not much use going to Jaspers Brush. Nobody with any class goes there!.

When you come to Camden, we can drop your wife off at one of our shopping centres and you and your son can have a good look, touch and sit in several interesting airplanes we have at Camden.

I have found that it is essential to have an aviation map like a WAC chart to locate airfields as you travel around. I've had the Devil's own trouble trying to find them while I've been in England.

OME

Care to explain OME?

Hey! The fishing's good at Jaspers Brush. I just caught me a big ol' motzartmerv. I knew he'd rise to the bait.

(Frank - You should include Jaspers Brush in your itinerary)

OME

• Like 1