ipad mini + Oz Runways Opinions?

shu77

I recently handed back my corporate ipad in favour of a Microsoft surface, which is great, but no Oz Runways support. I have been thinking about buying the entry level 16Gb ipad mini and a bad elf GPS so I can use Oz Runways and was interested if anyone has any feedback on this type of set up. Flying the Tecnam I have found the ipad is a major nuisance with a centre stick, so I'm wondering if the smaller ipad might prove more practical?

Also, CASA has put a size minimum of a screen size equal to or bigger than A5 size, so as long as it confirms to the CAAP 233 requirements then your ok, still can only be used as a supplemental navigation tool only for increased situation awareness and not primary navigation tool.

Full size ipad is still only ok as supplement because ozrunways isn't "approved" supplier of Asa maps. This might change in time.

Those rules on sizes are recommendations only and apparently only refer to commercial users

if you mount to airframe etc you need approval of some kind, even RAA.

Fom pprune

ipad mini is same as ipd2 and ozrunways works fine, get the 3G version you won't need external gps (another thing to charge up)