Under wing markings

ave8rr

So a followup while I struggle to get my RV-9's Experimental CoA issued...

What is the current exemption that means I don't need under-wing VH letters? Best I can tell the last exemption expired June 2016 - so I need both underwing letters and a fireproof ID plate in addition to the dataplate.

The exemption is no longer necessary as the rules have been adopted into part 45 of the CASR.

In true CASA fashion the regulations refer you to the MOS for part 45, See the link below:

https://www.legislation.gov.au/Details/F2016L00850

If you are less than 5700kg and operating wholly within Australia then you don't need markings under the wings....

• Agree 1
  • Helpful 1

I just had a reread of the rule i posted above and I think CASA have screwed up. Table 4 tells you the size you need and it only lists one size (75mm) for a homebuilt certificated under 21.191(g). You could put 75mm marking on the underside of the wings and operate internationally. I am not sure that is what they meant.....

The exemption is no longer necessary as the rules have been adopted into part 45 of the CASR.In true CASA fashion the regulations refer you to the MOS for part 45, See the link below:

Part 45 Manual of Standards Instrument 2016

If you are less than 5700kg and operating wholly within Australia then you don't need markings under the wings....

Bugger me, how is anybody expected to read that?!? I suppose an English Major could make sense of it. I've spent most of my morning cross-checking the CASR's with various legislative instruments, because the SAAA says the AP wants compliance with it unless there is a valid exemption - but without the exemption CASR 45.045 always sticks out that says "Both sides and under your port wing".BUT...

CASR 45.045 is no longer in force, instead being replaced by the Part 45 MOS. 079_throw_pc.gif.e071c8f36d135c7f050383c74279afc6.gif If I'd known that 3 hours ago, I'd be a damn sight happier - <sarcasm>Thank you very much SAAA, and I only bought my CoA pack last week</sarcasm>...And after my fourth reading of the MOS, I think I understand it now. "If you're a Limited Category, go to table 2. Everyone else, goto Table 1."

10 February 2016. Well before the Part 45 MOS went live in May 2016 - and not updated in over a year to reflect the changes.

I don't really mind going through their checklist, frustrating as it is because the RV has already been flying for over a year, but I believe organisations like the SAAA that perform some of the functions of Government, should not have out of date documents. It also makes me wonder what else might be out of date that I could get picked up on by the AP?

The actual checklist item I wasted so much time on is "No Underwing Markings via CASA general exemption? (Name the current CASA EX instrument)" then space for the document number. Without Nobody's advice yesterday, I'd probably still be trying to reference it...