Under wing markings

ave8rr

As it is no longer a requirement to display under wing markings on aircraft below 5700kgs operating wholly with in Australia, why can't the RAAus Technical Manual be revised along the same lines.

I assume this was a requirement so as to follow what was then a CASA regulation.

I post this for discussion only.

Guest Howard Hughes
good question. It is my understanding that RAAus should never have a requirement greater than that which might be required by CASA. Note. The Human factors requirement appears to breach that. Nev

The CASA standard is the minimum standard, why would you only aim for the lowest standard?

With regard to the initial observation, I suspect they will get around to it at some stage. I guess they are kind of busy at the moment! 022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

My aircraft has a little rego sticker on either side of the rear fuselage(GA rego) and I like it that way, and to be honest I,ve had aircraft come over my place at maybe 300 agl and I couldn't read the rego anyway so why bother!

Last thing we need is every yobbo with an axe to grind getting your rego,,,,not so for RAA they seem to protect their members but there is NO privacy for GA aircraft owners ,with a rego in hand anyone can find your home address , try doing that with car rego, even if someone smashes into your car ,and you happen to get their rego (and no, unless there's an injury the coppers aren't interested) and takes off ,try getting any info from the various departments ,not a hope in hell!

I'd like em even smaller,

cheers Met

• Like 3
  • Agree 2

Minimum red tape and complexity Howard. That rule is written, but we still require more sometimes. Do you have to have your car rego in one foot letters all over your car? I would assume the CASA standard was adequate and on that basis would be enough for US. Nev

• Agree 1

Minimum red tape and complexity Howard. That rule is written, but we still require more sometimes. Do you have to have your car rego in one foot letters all over your car? I would assume the CASA standard was adequate and on that basis would be enough for US. Nev

Nev, I would say that when the RAAus rules were written then all aircraft had the under wing rego in huge letters.

This is no longer. My RV9A has the rego in small letters on either side as does nearly every other experimental in the country. I also note as old Cessna's etc are repainted the under wing rego is missing. The removal of this requirement would save alot of cost and trouble at initial registration.

• Agree 1
  • Caution 1

As it is no longer a requirement to display under wing markings on aircraft below 5700kgs operating wholly with in Australia, why can't the RAAus Technical Manual be revised along the same lines.I assume this was a requirement so as to follow what was then a CASA regulation.

I post this for discussion only.

Thats why they keep getting in the snot with CASA, they must be above CASA, the MTOW & fly at your own risk stickers we are to display on the dash are qouted under a CASA reg that actually doesn't exist.

My car 35 design engineer and ATPL/ RAA instructor friend looked up these so called regs and found this out, he contacted the RAA stating this and their answer was we do different things to CASA.

My question is why quote a CASA reg that actually isn't there?

Unless of course it is now to be written after the recent dealings with CASA

Alf

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Only if you apply for your registration after the new manual comes into force, needless to say my Savannah can wait a few month for them to get their act together! All those rivets to get a decal looking decent around, such a relief to not have to.

• Agree 1

Only if you apply for your registration after the new manual comes into force, needless to say my Savannah can wait a few month for them to get their act together! All those rivets to get a decal looking decent around, such a relief to not have to.

WHAT???? your Sav isn't flying yet !!!!!! you will be eligible for the new old age pension Steve by the time your done.

• Haha 1

Now they are going to remove them. I hated them on the Lazair as it caused the Mylar to shrink and expand different to the other wing resulting in a built in turn.

Muppets

WHAT???? your Sav isn't flying yet !!!!!! you will be eligible for the new old age pension Steve by the time your done.

Cattleman first, pilot second! I don't eat until my cows and my dogs are fed, it's just priorities.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

As it is no longer a requirement to display under wing markings on aircraft below 5700kgs operating wholly with in Australia, why can't the RAAus Technical Manual be revised along the same lines.I assume this was a requirement so as to follow what was then a CASA regulation.

I looked at the legislation (CASR 43.035) not two days ago for my RV and it was still a requirement to display rego letters underwing.What's the new rule that says we don't have to?

I looked at the legislation (CASR 43.035) not two days ago for my RV and it was still a requirement to display rego letters underwing.What's the new rule that says we don't have to?

The latest RAAus newslettter outlines changes to the markings on our aircraft, but they don't come into effect until the new tec manual is released.

Quote from the newsletter

1. Aircraft registration markings (Click Here). As some members may have noticed, in the new Operations manual, there will be new numbered categories for aircraft types. This has been reflected in the new Technical manual but this is only part of the revision. The new registration marks will not come into effect until the new Technical manual is released. There is a substantial amount of work required with online documents and system upgrades to handle it.

Them's the rules. So if your about to register your new toy you still need rego nums on the underside of the left wing, until the new tec manual comes in.

The latest RAAus newslettter outlines changes to the markings on our aircraft, but they don't come into effect until the new tec manual is released.Quote from the newsletter

1. Aircraft registration markings (Click Here). As some members may have noticed, in the new Operations manual, there will be new numbered categories for aircraft types. This has been reflected in the new Technical manual but this is only part of the revision. The new registration marks will not come into effect until the new Technical manual is released. There is a substantial amount of work required with online documents and system upgrades to handle it.

Them's the rules. So if your about to register your new toy you still need rego nums on the underside of the left wing, until the new tec manual comes in.

Suggest a review of CASA AC45-01(2).

• Haha 1

EXEMPTION

• •

Instrument number CASA EX10/10 ‘Exemption— Display of markings and carriage of identification plates’ allows Australian fixed wing and rotorcraft with a maximum take off weight below 5700 kg and operating wholly within Australian territory to be exempt from some of the requirements of CASR Part 45 that cover the location and size of markings and the carrying of an aircraft registration identification plate.

Under the terms of the exemption, applicable aircraft will be exempt from:

displaying markings on the undersurface of the wings as required by CASR 45.045(1);

displaying lateral markings of 300 mm as required by CASR 45.065(3)(b)(ii) and © item 1 — under the terms of the exemption the minimum height is 150 mm; and

Cheers Mike

The exemption is renewed regularly. Latest expires in 2015 see http://www.comlaw.gov.au/Details/F2012L00098

Ahh, there's that lightbulb moment:idea: Wish I'd known about that when I ordered my stickers for my RAAus rego a few months ago. Could've saved hundreds of dollars.

Then again, if I'm reading the CASR right, if you want 75mm letters on the sides instead of 300mm, you can have 75mm underwing letters and 75mm letters on the side as well...