Lunch by the Sea - Port Fairy

.Evan.

A few weeks ago I flew the Tecnam down to visit friends at Port Fairy that stay for a week each January. It was a great trip, my first landing on an ALA and first time I left an aircraft for more than a few minutes.

Many more pics and full story at my blog.

http://1000feetagl.blogspot.com.au/2013/02/lunch-by-sea.html

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Winner 1

Enjoyed that very much. I grew up in Port Fairy. Family later moved to Portland and I studied engineering in Warrnambool, so I know the area very well. Hope to fly my own aircraft into that strip one day (bucket list item - fly over to visit the Port Fairy Folk Festival). It's a long way from Perth though.

rgmwa

• Like 1

Can relate to that rgmwa. I grew up in W'bool, so spent a lot of time in my younger days ducking over to Port Fairy. Did our first "flying holliday" in our RV9a down to W'bool last year (from QLD) and flew over Port Fairy but didn't land there.

Bob Dennis

• Like 2

Lovely photos, Evan. And good memories, too, by the sound of it.

I noticed the tie down for the port wing was almost vertical. This is the least efficient placement as the peg is very easily pulled out when the lifting force is directly above and away from it.

Even though a low wing is much less susceptible to blow over than a high wing, it is best to splay the tie downs at an angle of about 45 degrees to the ground and belt the pegs in at right angles to the rope. Putting the pegs in first avoids unfortunate contact between mash hammer and undersidmowing wing (or head)!

Kaz

• Agree 1

Thanks everyone!

Kaz, yeah thanks! I see what you mean. That photo really does makes it look just like the rope is straight down. I was a bit worried myself that we'd done it wrong, but from another angle it shows the rope forward and slightly out from the fuselage. Thanks for the reminder! 092_idea.gif.47940f0a63d4c3c507771e6510e944e5.gif

Tied-Down.jpg