Interplanetary Cessna 172

fatmal

Every wondered if you could fly on Saturn? Check out http://what-if.xkcd.com/30/ to see how an electric (no oxygen, so its gotta be) 172 would fly on various bodies in our solar system.Mal

Looked at that link, was a little interesting, but I drifted off surfing the net as we used to say and found this little gem in a previous page.

The GAU-8 Avenger fires up to sixty one-pound bullets a second. It produces almost five tons of recoil force, which is crazy considering that it’s mounted in a type of plane (the A-10 “Warthog”) whose two engines produce only four tons of thrust each. If you put two of them in one aircraft, and fired both guns forward while opening up the throttle, the guns would win and you’d accelerate backward.

To put it another way: If I mounted a GAU-8 on my car, put the car in neutral, and started firing backward from a standstill, I would be breaking the interstate speed limit in less than three seconds.

I'm surprised you didn't see this on the Discovery Channel years ago. . . . . . do you colonials only get the stuff we've all watched here and worn out in Mother England when we've finisshed with it !!. . . . . ( WELL, you STARTED IT !! )

The great thing about the yank warthog pilots is that, in some circumstances, they really don't give a toss what they are firing at,. . . . my mate's son was in an APC when a pair of warties passed overhead in Iraq,. . .. . . didn't notice the great big white VEE sign on the machine, ( FRIEND ) and blasted it to bits with their much vaunted 30 mm cannon thingie. . . .. . . . fortunately, . . .as we do. . . the poms were outside aways having a cuppa tea. . . . . they had to yomp back to base though. . . . . bloody yanks . . . . .!