What's the biggest plane you've flown

Guest Bigfella

Without going through my log book I'm pretty sure I did my CSU/retract in NUS,,,it was at maroochy then.

And I don't believe any audible warning is quite enough,,,,maybe a gloved hand extending from the panel and giving a good hard slap would be a better attention getter,,,,;-)

• Like 1

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Without going through my log book I'm pretty sure I did my CSU/retract in NUS,,,it was at maroochy then.And I don't believe any audible warning is quite enough,,,,maybe a gloved hand extending from the panel and giving a good hard slap would be a better attention getter,,,,;-)

Yep, NUS is still at the sunny coast. As for the slap, none of my instructors have needed to do that ....yet!

Piper Warrier, and that was a big step-up after the one that rocks a bit outside Kmart:plane:

I did get 1/2hr or so in a English Electric (BAC) Lightning simulator one Saturday morning close to 50yrs ago, and it made me feel quite sick.

My cousin worked for Redifon Flight Simulators in London, and this one was destined for the Saudi Air Force.

• Agree 1

A c-182 in good condition is a nice thing. It's new price would have to be around 500,000, fully equipped, so all repairs are based on that figure , not the price you pay. I know af an excellent example for 120K.Yenn, that would be the auto synch switch. You get them close and then hook it in . Engines running in and out of synch drive you nuts...Nev

C-182 with engine synch Nev ? ? ? ? ? ? Am I missing something . . . .

Last one I flew at Berwick was unerpowered then, as it only had one engine. . . . mind you,. . . the C/S prop was a sod, as you could never get it quite right,. . . .well, I couldn;t anyway ( ! )

Are you getting mixed up with a 310 or something else with double the problems ? Our DOT search and rescue Partenavia was a sod as well, as the harmonics seemed to make the middle seat passengers ill if you didn't synch the props. . . . . Phil

Piper Arrow. Not much of a step up from the archer, but don't forget to put the gear down.[ATTACH=full]20735[/ATTACH]

AAAAHHHHH The ARROW 3. . . . . .. this is a proper aeroplane with the horizontal stabiliser in the correct place,. . . ie, in the bloody propwash ! ! ! ! ! ! The "4" is a pig, with that "Stabilator" sitting on top of the fin. . . .as if you inadvertantly allow the airspeed to decay below 80 Kt, you're a Test Pilot. . . . . . very LITTLE pitch control. Why on Earth they fixed a design which wasn't broken, I'll never understand. . . . . . .just on rotation from Andreas, a little ex-ww2 airfield on the Northern end of the Isle of Man, following a great weekend camping and watching the TT motorcycle races, ( flying an old "3" model. . .). . . . I hit a large Hare which suddenly appeared out from one side of the strip. . . I felt a bump, but rather than coming around and landing, ( with zero services, and no fire brigade,) I elected to continue back to Blackpool international, around 24 minutes across the Irish Sea. I didn't raise the gear, in case there was some damage, and after a quick tower fly - by, ATC said that all the wheels appeared to be down correctly. We found after landing that the right main gear door was missing, and was later found alongside half a hare skeleton on rwy 29R at Andreas on the Isle of Man. The foxes had eaten what was left of the rabbit overnight ! My Brother, who was camping on the site took the gear door next morning, strapped onto his back on a motorcycle. . . to Ronaldsway airport where he stuck it on their 10 seater shuttle back to Blackpool. . . this was refitted the next day to make the aeroplane airworthy again. ! The FBO was really glad to get this bit back, as he reckoned that, even though it was only a bit of plastic around two feet by one and a half, with a couple of bent bits of ally bracket, it had the words "Piper Aircraft Co" on it, and a new one would have cost him over half a grand and around six weeks to replace! ! ! ! ! EEEEH bah goom. . . .memories. . . .

• Caution 1

Guest Howard Hughes
Biggest single engine biplane ? Antonov AN2. . . . ( Not the example in my avatar by the way )

This one?

IMG_2182.JPG.a2342f1fd7f276c86f971035d6a2d825.JPG

PS: Why is it every AN2 I have ever seen, seems to be on a lean?

In 1964 I had the privilege of flying a DC3 for 10 minutes. The flight was out of Ohakea. This privilege was afforded to NZ flying cadets. It also helped having a father who served in WWII, who "loved" the DC3 (he returned from the war, flying a DC3) and had a bit of pull in certain quarters.

Certainly a great plane. I think it was first built about 1936 following on from a similar looking plane a DC-2. I think over 10,000 produced. All metal construction and so large by comparison with most others, that some believed it was too big and heavy to get off the ground.They did a magnificent job in PNG with Mandated and TAA as there were really no roads there and much of what was used was carried by air. They were used there during the war and dropped food and supplies and were called "biscuit" bombers Dakota, Gooney Bird, C-47, and probably started the "Cargo Cult" thinking that still persists in many parts of PNG today. Nev

In 1964 I had the privilege of flying a DC3 for 10 minutes. The flight was out of Ohakea. This privilege was afforded to NZ flying cadets. It also helped having a father who served in WWII, who "loved" the DC3 (he returned from the war, flying a DC3) and had a bit of pull in certain quarters.

A bit off topic but were you at 10 ATC sqn in PN ? I was there from 1964-1968. Also flew on the Dak out of Ohakea/ Went on to join the airforce and did 5,000 hours on Orions. Flew the Dak and still have that endorsement on my CPL.

Guest SAJabiruflyer

... it had just a tad more power than the Jab 230. Kind felt like having a really big... err.. . well... it was empowering.

This one?[ATTACH]20808[/ATTACH]

PS: Why is it every AN2 I have ever seen, seems to be on a lean?

No Howard,. not that particular one. one of them was borrowed from a private owner at White Waltham airfield near London in 1996, but was also coincidentally, on the Hungarian register. nother one was on the LU reg, and both had "A bit of a "Lean" !! the second machine had a slight accident at a local microlight airfield where the pilot got a bit low on the approach and snagged the left maingear draglink on a the remains of a small tree trunk where the the boundary fence used to be, and this caused the left gear to collapse rearwards on touchdown, followed by the right main, and the prop started churning up the grass. ( Actually I think I have already mentioned flying these in some detail, in a much earlier post ) It remained on the middle of the runway for a couple of weeks when it was then cut up by scrap metal merchants and trucked out in bits.

The Club purchased the cockpit section from the scrappies and use it as a trailer mounted curiosity for the kids to play with at various wings 'N' wheels fly-in events etc. . . .

Phil

Phil,. Answering two posts back there . The reference to propeller synch is the F-27.( Fokker Friendship). Only needed with more than one. engine. Nev

Yeah, I guessed I must've read that incorrectly Nev !

The gear in the Arrow should extend by itself if you forget.

Yes,. . . you're quite right, the gear SHOULD extend if you forget, but it doesn't always work ! ! ! ! ! ! ! this doesn't matter of course,. . . if you carry out EVEN BASIC downwind checks though ! ! ! I remember reading somewhere. . . . ( hesitates for a bit . . . ) that some of the Beech Bonanza singles had a similar feature, but . . . following some incidents in the USA ( where else !! ) where the gear deployed, but the nosewheel didn't LOCK. . . there were numerous expensive lawsuits. . . . Beech responded by removing this useful safety feature.

My memory is now being stretched as I have not flown a PA28R200 for several years, but I seem to remember that there was a little red plunger between the seats which would PREVENT the gear from deploying before you wanted this to happen, if in turbulence and at low power settings. . . .I used this on one occasion, in serious turbulence trying to carry out a GPS ILS ( using a hand held Garmin 90 ) when we had a seerious electrical failure. . . . maybe some more current Arrow 3 drivers could refresh the memory ?

I once allowed myself to be distracted ( totally unforgiveable I know. . .) and forgot to RAISE the gear on an Arrow Mk3,. . . . . I had flown for at least nine NM, messing around with the MP and prop control trying to get the bird to accellerate to 130 Kt, from it's rather sluggish 95. . . . . before realising what I'd NOT done, which was noticed at the same instant by my smartass right seat passenger who had a total of 2 hours flight training ( ! ) The bloke never let me forget that. . . . . ( And we call these people friends ! ! ! ) ANd before you tell me off YES I know,. . .the nose down trim should have told the story straight away, but who said all pilots are that clever ???? He who is without sin. . . . . . etc. . . .

Phil,. Answering two posts back there . The reference to propeller synch is the F-27.( Fokker Friendship). Only needed with more than one. engine. Nev

I'm sorry Nev,. . . I know I keep quoting my mate Chalkie White down at the dog and duck, but he reckoned that during his time in the Lanc in ww2,. . . , he had quite a few problems with Fokkers,. . . . but he did point out that a lot of these were messerschmitts. . . . . .

• Haha 1

Biggest I've flown is a Jetstream, the best I've flown would be a Baron, the Ferrari of the skies!Most fun for your money, Drifter!

Sorry I missed the picture part!

Yours truly at the controls! 003_cheezy_grin.gif.c5a94fc2937f61b556d8146a1bc97ef8.gif

Is that O'Connor Airlines from Millicent?

A bit off topic but were you at 10 ATC sqn in PN ? I was there from 1964-1968. Also flew on the Dak out of Ohakea/ Went on to join the airforce and did 5,000 hours on Orions. Flew the Dak and still have that endorsement on my CPL.

Not me. We left NZ as a family in Jan. 1965 for Australia. Dad said he would teach me to fly. Unfortunately he didn't get around to it, as he died as a quite a young man. I nearly went the same way at 47, when I had a heart-attack. I learned to fly about 6 years ago. By the way my Lightning is still for sale. See the RA-Aus plane adverts.

Leigh was an old mate of mine, I did some jumps down at Millicent with him in a C172 . I did the Mt Gambier airshow one year, and Kingston SE as well. I did a couple of trips with the airline in a Conquest and then a bigger plane - a proper 2 pilot twin.

The good old days...

Blackburn Beverley, well I sat in the right-hand seat for awhile on a trip UK to Germany[ATTACH=full]20811[/ATTACH]

AAAAAHHHH I missed out TWICE on a Bev ride,. . . . It was in my slightly younger days and one of my Dad's friends was a pilot on these things, a cargo company based at Manston had bought a couple and were using them for short cargo trips to Germany and other destinations in Europe. . . . I hadn't a lot of flying experience in those days, but the pilot told my Dad that it was a bit like flying a wheelbarrow load of wet cement. I found in later life that there are quite a few aeroplanes like that !!!! Has anyone on here flown a RANS S6 with a Rotax 503, full of fuel and two fat pilots ? ? ? ? Same Same ( as my Thai girlfriend used to say. . . . .

That would take a while. Did you get any seagul strikes from the rear? Nev

Can't remember the fight time and the closest we came to a strike from behind was when an accompanying Bev came up from below and put his nose in between the fins. We had the rear Clamshell doors off for a heavy load recovery and where having a coffee with the load master at the time in the freight bay. Both pilots, grinning like idiots, gave us the thumbs up then reduced speed and backed out before peeling away. Wish I had had a video camera then.