Stalls and Radio Exam!

Stall training should be viewed both as training too recover a stall, but more importantly as recognition and avoidance training - a competant pilot should never stall a flying aircraft.

Don't stall the thing, learn the signs, don't spin it. Learn spin training in an appropriate aircraft, as I did in a C150 Aerobat.

Get a grip, stop keyboard flying.

- boingk

Edit: tafisima, I've reported your post as it contains dangerous and ambiguous advice. Don't advise on flying our recovery techniques if you are not well trained in them, especially such dangerous things as spins. All the best in your flying, no offence meant toward you.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't stall it, don't spin it. I agree with your intentions (If it were only that simple). Your advice about spin recovery techniques is correct as a perusal of the extensive coverage in the file provided by Djpacro shows. It's test pilot stuff and RAaus doesn't get close to certifying spin aircraft. ALL aircraft are different and they way one is loaded and how the spin is entered affect the way it spins and the recovery technique used. Height won't save you if you get it wrong. The deliberate stall won't usually get you. The inadvertent one will be more likely to, hence my advice to practice them off turns at some stage. Gets back to recommending the EMT doesn't it? Lets just make sure that at least the instructors have done it. Nev

• Agree 1

The advice given in this post has been retracted by the author.Moderator.

Not sure I agree with withdrawing this as it is a learning page and Taf was probably only going over how he was taught - or possibly taught. We can all learn from mistakes made on a forum

tafisama wished to delete it himself. I agree with that and as little contributed since referred to it exclusively there is no damage done. I would have disputed much of it as dangerous. The memory is a curious thing. Some things will stick in it and the counter argument at the time may not. The turnback after engine fail is such a thing. I have known of many who did it and can't work out why as they admit to being taught to NOT turn back. Nev

• Like 1

I am sorry for my over excitement to post what I have heard especially when its something that shouldnt be even discussed at our level.I wanted to withdraw the post but I cant.I accept my blunder.

Taf, your contribution to this thread should not have you considering it to be a blunder, it is about student pilots and further learning. Maybe it may have been better stated to say "I was always taught to......"

The big problem with statements (not from you) saying that competent pilots should not accidentally enter a stall / spin is great in theory but I personally feel that it is not backed up by the amount of accidents caused directly by that situation occurring. It is partly to do with training, partly aircraft cockpit design, partly lack of self discipline and a dose of self preservation when things go wrong.

There really is not a lot of emphasis during training placed on slow flight, stall recognition and just plain getting the stick forward to keep the aircraft flying. I could say more but you get the idea but please keep contributing because we were all students at one time and the clever ones still are. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

• Agree 2

Certainly don't be put off contributing tafisama. people get their information from various places and we kick it around here . Generally the results are positive so it's worthwhile. Nev