Auto pilot sickening

I have a D100 and AP74 and when I engage the auto pilot I feel that I am in a washing machine . It can oscillate 010 deg either side of track. What can I do?

Guest Andys@coffs

I dont know about that specific setup, but in other single axis autopilots there is a gain control that identifies now agressively it hunts actual vs intended. There is no right setting, rather you need to go and test each possible setting to get teh one that you will be most happy with....

I wonder if its an expectation thing......I remember going on deployment in a C130 from Amberly to Malaysia and the whole way the wing was swinging 5 degrees above the horizon to 5 degrees below....

When you say washing machine that sort of infers its pretty abrupt adjustments.....If you close your eyes would you feel it? If so you definately need to find the gain adjustment and have a play. My Trio wing leveler also swings a bit....but when I review track on a PC downloaded fromt he GPS I couldnt draw a straighter line if I tried and I probably couldnt hand fly that accurately (and still be having fun....)

Andy

It'll be a damping /response rate thing. Autopilots should have a sensitivity adjustment. Sometimes a gyro stabilised yaw damper might be needed. Down the back of most large planes you will be aware of the plane moving around as the result of autopilot inputs. They are rarely perfectly steady. Nev

My j230 D has the Jabiru fitted D100/AP74 Avmap EKP4 setup. Part of "calibration" is to set the gain of the feedback loop between the

gps (EKP4) and the elevator/aileron servos. This is a software entry on the D100. Have not got the book here, but it will be something

like MENU ,SETUP, AP SETUP, SERVO CAL. There are separate entries for the pitch and roll servos. This is done on the ground by the way.

Look in the installation manual for the D100. Get it from the Dynon web site. As Andy says, it works very well.010_chuffed.gif.c2575b31dcd1e7cce10574d86ccb2d9d.gif

Marcus

• Agree 1

Another possibility is that if you are having problems keeping a track without A/P The spats will cause the (washing machine ride)

The A/P is constantly trying to adjust.

Hands off flying and adjust spats to fix. Remove spats to see if this is the problem, if no difference then disregard this post.

Been there myself, took a while for the penny to drop

Phil

can you adjust the sensitivity in the settings my skyview did the same until I adjusted the sensitivity right down

I have now reduced the setting to 4 and the factory has come and picked up the plane for repairs so I have not had a check flight