Battery news

I just read about a new type of battery. Lithium Iron. (no not ion!) Made by Shorai, very very light and not too dear. Is 300CCA enough?

I've got one in mine, it's 270CCA for a 912S. I haven't finished my build yet so can't comment on how well it cranks it but the same battery spins a 1200cc sports bike engine way faster than the gel or lead battery. Mine's 18Ah (equivalent) and weighs 996g, you'd think the case was empty. Nice carbon fibre case too BTW.

Whats the brand and who sells them?

Shorai Australia sell them here, mine's the LFX18L1-BS12

The distributor is a really helpful man full of useful information, Chris Houghton, he'll welcome your call if you like on 0412 170 020. If you ask him for a discount he'll probably give you free express mailing at least, they cost $250 (not cheap). If you mention aircraft the warranty will be voided. They're classified as 'Motorcycle and Powersports Starter Batteries' so you might be wanting it for your dune buggy, go kart, sports bike....

And as geoffreywh mentioned, no they're not lithium ion, they're lithium iron phosphate (LiFePO4) and have nothing flammable or dangerous inside so they don't catch fire... unlike lithium ion they can be sent by airmail as they're not a dangerous good. Nice thing is they hold their charge for a year if left unattended. You need an automatic battery charger for them if you do need to charge them and after some while (a year or two) you need to send them to the distributor to have a special charger balance the cells or you can buy the special charger.

Guest Maj Millard

"Nice thing is they hold their charge for a year if left unattended."

I once left a plane unused for a year, with battery still installed and connected. It was a standard Yuasa lead-acid 18 ah battery. I jumped in and fired up the 912 with no problem, after 12 months, with the battery only indicating 10V on the guage....................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

"Nice thing is they hold their charge for a year if left unattended."

with the battery only indicating 10V on the guage....................................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Reminds me of Alby Mangels' World Safari, finding an abandoned chopper in the desert, digging it out of a dune and firin' it up, flyin' off into the sunset.

You need a new voltmeter or sumpin' - a 12V (14.4V actually) battery that has fallen below about 11V won't happily light a 12V 100W headlight globe at 8 amps, let alone provide 2-300amps for cranking. Lead acid or gel batteries simply cannot hold a charge for long, their low internal resistance and power leakage through the electrolyte drain them whether connected or not. So you need a new voltmeter Maj as well as find out which kindly hangar rat was looking after you by giving your battery a charge every couple of months... a lead/acid standing for a year and then cranking is simply impossible. Undisturbed the sulfating of the internals would be pretty well total, I can't find anything that suggests Yuasa or any other could have better than 5V after that length of time.... confused!

Guest Maj Millard

The battery in the Lightwing is down in the tail. You need to drop it out from the bottom requiring some tools. I'm pretty sure nobody did any recharging. I have used Yuasa for a few years now, they are pretty good batteries and one dealer told me they use them in electric wheel chairs and mobility thingos, because they do last. I have got 5 years of aircraft usage out of them in the past, and just replaced them because of that time, not because they wern't still doing the job. I have one fitted in the LW now. Never had a problem starting...ever. Nothing wrong with my voltmeter, I check it against the one in the transponder every flight. Confused also I guess !.....................................Maj...033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

My KTM 640 motor bike is still on its original Yuasa battery. The bike was first registered in May 2004. If not started for 5 weeks, it needs a charge. I went to Battery world to buy a new battery.A new Yuasa battery exactly the same as my bikes battery but it had a retail price of $280 037_yikes.gif.f44636559f7f2c4c52637b7ff2322907.gif I got them to test my original battery & they said it is about half life. I kept my money and I am still using the original 9 year old battery.

I agree, Yuasa batteries are well constructed so the little squares of lead don't fall out of the plastic frame they're supported in, so, well installed and kept charged to prevent sulfating should give many years of use.

Let em sit and they'll start to die due to sulfate coating, the rejuvenating tablets give em a new lease of life though...

But as for leaving it sitting and still holding a charge Dazza's experience of just a few weeks is about right from my experiences. Try leaving your car for two months and need to make a quick getaway...

Anyway, its now exactly 3 months since I charged my LiFePO4 and I've only used it to operate the retracts about 20 times and its showing 14.3V