Real Aussie Trike History 1984

Trikes Australia 1984 - the original 8mm footage of trikes at Salt Ash with the Duncan Brothers and Chris Brandon of Airborne Windsports. See four first solo flights in one day in these primitive trikes - Kenichi Tanaka, Kevin Duncan, Steve Moyes and Eric Brandon show their true worth.

A snippet of history... there will be more video history further in this post. Enjoy.

• Like 2
  • Winner 3

Thanks for the appreciation of our unique moments in making aviation history.

Found another oldy in my video archives..

1990 HGFA Instructor Course and CAA approval - Mike Cleaver was very supportive in getting trikes recognised in the early years, as was Trevor Burns CAA.

• Like 1

These are wonderful to see - brings back great memories since I started hang gliding and trike flying when this course was being developed. Another name not mentioned there who had input into the development of the approved weightshift pilot certificate course was my instructor, Mike Coburn.

Not sure where you got that info, Mike Coburn attended the inaugural HGFA Coures and one of the fifteen first trike CFI's to be approved by CAA.

I can assure you there were few helpers in the day to get it all legal..!

The only reflection of support is really with Ian Jarman, Robert Loreton, Johanne Parnisky and Steve Hocking.

I did stay with Mike several times in the early days and we did share a good frienship.

As we learn - there are followers and leaders in the world to keep the balance.

Its all good... this is the crew - Mike is 3rd from right back row... stay tuned.

437317388_HGFACFICourse1990.jpg.c9d4a7817e48ad40e40771cf1df5ccb4.jpg

• Winner 1

Not sure where you got that info, Mike Coburn attended the inaugural HGFA Coures and one of the fifteen first trike CFI's to be approved by CAA.I can assure you there were few helpers in the day to get it all legal..!

The only reflection of support is really with Ian Jarman, Robert Loreton, Johanne Parnisky and Steve Hocking.

I did stay with Mike several times in the early days and we did share a good frienship.

As we learn - there are followers and leaders in the world to keep the balance.

Its all good... this is the crew - Mike is 3rd from right back row... stay tuned.

[ATTACH=full]21156[/ATTACH]

Is that Steve Ruffels second from left back row?

If my memory serves me correctly...

Back Row - R/L

Chris Brandon, Steve Ruffells (RIP), Aden Wicks, Robert Hibberd, Anthony Gerrard, Richard Sneddon, Lee Scott, Mike Coburn, Joe Scott (RIP) & Shane Moore.

Front Row - R/L

Ian Robertson, John Goodrich, John Amor, Larry Jones & Kevin Magennis

Apology if mis-spelling of names has occurred, 23 years now since this day of recognition.

Guest Andys@coffs

And I reckon thats Larry Jones (Strathalbyn SA) 2nd from right front row...Sortof expected to See Rob Hatswell as well....

Those were the days. A mate of mine decided to build one for his glider in the mid 80s. It took him about a 4 or 5 weeks & was somewhat more primitive than those in the video using bits scrounged from anything lying around the farm including the farm bike engine & making the rest on his lathe. The most expensive thing was the prop which he bought second hand. It flew quite well. He flew around a bit when I went to have a look then landed & said "Have a go, its a piece a piss, you'll work it out" & I did.

Not sure where you got that info, Mike Coburn attended the inaugural HGFA Coures and one of the fifteen first trike CFI's to be approved by CAA.

I was led to believe by Mike at the time that he had a fair bit to do with the writing of the training manual.... Anyway I'm sure it was a team effort and we (trike pilots) should be thankful for the work and dedication by all those involved in getting approval for the process.

Cheers, Laurie.

• 4 years later...
I was led to believe by Mike at the time that he had a fair bit to do with the writing of the training manual.... Anyway I'm sure it was a team effort and we (trike pilots) should be thankful for the work and dedication by all those involved in getting approval for the process.Cheers, Laurie.

Hi Laurie!

Mike Coburn here!

Just to refresh some memories.

That might have lagged somewhat over the years

I was signed off by the Vic/Tas Regional Office at least 6 Months prior to the above get together.

I was checked out by the then Sport Aviation Inspector Major Mike Tonks who was very supportive and a great bloke.

To achieve this I had many years of experience operating in the open at regular GA Airfields like Penfield, Riddels Creek and Tooradin.

I only ever operated at airfields where it was safe!

All the owners were terrific guys who were again very supportive of what was then a very new aviation form.

Because of the multi year intransigence of local manufacturers who refused to move on legalising trikes I imported a UK section S microlight Pegasus Q and got the manufacturers to send their data package to DOA with a request to certify my aircraft and us!

I got Pegasus Aviation to register the aircraft and it came to Australia complete with G registration numbers on the wing.

But that wasn't my most important contribution.

After operating in the Open & in considerable risk for many years, proving both the safety and suitability of these two seat weight shift aircraft for all kinds of users and especially as a two place classroom for foot launch hang gliding students I finally breathed a sigh of relief that I could finally get on my feet!

Then the phone rang...

One Chris Brandon congratulated me on getting legal and asked that I throw it away!

His pitch was that the Federal office of DOA was willing to go with a centrally organised training & certification setup but I'd have to agree to toss my hard won certification in so the shown scheme could happen.

So my conundrum was this:

If I tell Chris to get stuffed (soundly commercial response) I would remain alone as the only HGFA CFI for trikes in Australia;

If I go with Chris ( a man I didn't trust ) I would allow the wider uptake of trikes throughout Australia and the possibility that dual seat hang gliding instruction would gain ground via legal means.

What would you do?

Well, as you can see from the get together photographed above - I chose the latter!

You can work through what my contribution to the sport was.

• Like 3

Heya Mike.. your note to :"throw it away" ..

Are you for real Mike..

Time to write the truth about trikes in Australia.

Never were you by my side creating the HGFA CFI Master System Manual.. buddy.

Mr. Fredrick Hogarth (RIP) was very instrumental in the evolution of legality for us trikers.

Do you really know the story.. incl. John Goodrich, John Fack, and others of the time.

Yes, agree you did ,,place much effort in the beginning, did you ever complete the task?

No.

My interpretation of events..

1984 trike post, simple beginnings, mega task to be legal, somebody has a job to do!!

CAA.. sport aviation rules of the time... not easy to navigate, or be accepted as we fly today.

Australia - the only place in the world where you decide to be either HGFA or RAA,,.. trike pilots..!??

Answer that one.. double dipping on every level.. costing us trikers to fly the skies of Oz..

Anyway, life goes on.. be good to take the covers OFF the Australian Weight-Shift Aircraft World... in 2017.

Fact: we have the highest fatality record on the planet for triker deaths!

Do the research to confirm over 120 deaths, serious accidents, aircraft failure since 1982...

So how you living Mike, long time no speak... have fond memories we shared down south,,!

Flying trikes today is far from the the 80's..

If you feel you missed recognition in effort.. we have much to to discuss.

Now, 2017, few trike pilots, other pilots and certain top admin officers..

Don't ~ REALY know where trikes began or evolved factually! .

It's a good story..

..sadly many trikers, incl. double fatalities.. over the years (incl. CFI's) are now DEAD...

.. CFI's - Joe Scott, Andrew Humphries, Paul Hanson, John Cresswell.. too many have been sadly lost ..

A majority of accidents... (past 2 decades) replicate similarity on many levels..similar Coronial reports.

No apology to these words in honesty.!

If you want to shake the cloud... let's do it..

No politics, no regrets, no shame, only the facts.. proven with evidence in fact.!

Game on.. The Space Between..

Now is the time to unfold the hidden secrets of our true Australian Microlight Industry...

.. an unfair playground for sport aviators,,, !

Respectfully, our priority is to improve the Aussie triker statistics in FLIGHT SAFETY.

PS. Thankyou for your efforts way back..

Although, you did not make it happen to the full extent the sport is today.

Accept my thank you as an industry friend.

Safe flights.,

• Like 1