Low Time Vs Experienced Pilots

Oh Dear I have a test flight coming up and I am at about 700 hours. Should I do it?

Your doing an RV ?,,,,,get a heap of time in one, apart from a few minor differences they all seem to fly very similar.

I doubt you'll have trouble with handleling , something I did was get everyone I could to go over it before I flew it, I thought I was really thorough but was surprised by the. Things people found, there was nothing that would've killed me but there was things I'd missed and might have become an issue. If you want I have a mate who may be able to steer you in the right direction to get some time in one , other than that he's probably got more knowledge about RV's than anyone in Oz and might be worth a chat, if you want PM me.

Yenn, Flying a Starlet gets you bonus points and you keep current. Get some time in another RV and talk to MM and you might be an exception to the general statements I and others have made here. There are always exceptions. ( But everyone likes to think THEY are the exception). Nev

I have a trip to the Gold Coast to get training in an RV, so it is in hand. Everyone who has flown the Corby and also RVs says the RV is more forgiving. We shall see.

Oh Dear I have a test flight coming up and I am at about 700 hours. Should I do it?

Hiya Mate, I guess it depends upon how you approach the situation. If you can get some experience in similar or even better, identical types, and get some really good advice. . . perhaps you'll be fine, and add to your overall experience.

I'd had quite a bit of time in various Vans marques, as weil as other powerful single engine aircraft prior to delivering an RV3 from seller to new buyer, and although this wasn't a problem, I wouldn't have liked to actually Test fly one of these,. . . . . high energy, fast(ish) approach and landing speeds,. . . . everything that happens, does so rather "quickly" ( ! ! ! ) Steady as she goes mate, softly softly no crashee monkee ?

A test pilot I know carries a voice recording device connected to his intercom so that he can make comments during various test phases in the programme, then tabulate into notes later, I thought that, even when testing a nice little benign home-built Microlight airframe, this was a neat idea, easier than scribbling notes on a kneepad as you're flying !!

Good fortune with the project anyway.

Phil