Wayne Fisher Memorial Fly-In

JG3

Been talking with the people at Inglewood, and they’re eager to name the coming fly-in on the Anzac Day weekend, the ‘Wayne Fisher Memorial Fly-In'. That sounds very appropriate, as that was where Wayne went to play, and so many of us greatly enjoyed his presence there over many years.

Due to liability and bureaucratic considerations, the organizers at Inglewood do not declare, sponsor, or advertise this as an official fly-in; it’s meant to be just a spontaneous ‘gathering of the flock’. The people of Inglewood just provide an ideal venue, a very warm welcome, and catering. It’s up to us to spread the word, so please use all your social networking connections to spread the word, and actively encourage one and all to show up this year.

The turn up the last couple of years has been less than it used to be, but when it’s the ‘Wayne Fisher Memorial Fly-In’, this could be the biggest ever! Be there to be a part of it!

The organizers at Inglewood have made changes to make it more convenient for us. The dinner will now be on Saturday night instead of Sunday, and will probably be held at the airfield. As per usual, the locals will be doing all that they can to make it convenient for us, including fuel runs to town.

If you’ll be wanting accommodation in town, better make your bookings right away.

Could be good if someone would ferry Wayne’s personal Drifter and put it on display as a silent tribute. His presence will still be there, in a big way…….

Once again, please do spread the word, and plan to be there!

JG

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Guest Maj Millard

I have fond memories of Wayne at Inglewood, and it's where I first witnessed his stunning aeros in the Drifter. Quite appropriate they name the meet in his memory .................012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif.......................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Guest Maj Millard

It was still a nice grass strip when I was there last, but a great little spot with very friendly locals..I was in Ballina years ago at the Lightwing factory to pick up a repaired GA 912. I called Wayne to arrange a drop in to Lismore for coffee, early next morning. No no, he said, were all off to Inglewood Fly-in sparrowfart in the morning, why don't you drop in...Where's Inglewood I asked ? He said fly xxx deg for xxxNM and look for the lake. I found it no problems, and enjoyed Inglewood a great deal, before continuing north early next morning...remember it being just a little chilly that year.......Almost collided with a bunch of trikes inbound from the North right after departure !!!....Maj...014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

It was still a nice grass strip when I was there last, but a great little spot with very friendly locals..I was in Ballina years ago at the Lightwing factory to pick up a repaired GA 912. I called Wayne to arrange a drop in to Lismore for coffee, early next morning. No no, he said, were all off to Inglewood Fly-in sparrowfart in the morning, why don't you drop in...Where's Inglewood I asked ? He said fly xxx deg for xxxNM and look for the lake. I found it no problems, and enjoyed Inglewood a great deal, before continuing north early next morning...remember it being just a little chilly that year.......Almost collided with a bunch of trikes inbound from the North right after departure !!!....Maj...014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif

The trikes would have been us I reckon- been going for the last 6 in a row and over 20 yrs in total

Guest Maj Millard

Could have been ballpoint, I was off early and thought I had the sky to myself I guess. Wasn't a real danger but a surprise to see a few ahead of me at the time as I recall...all good stuff !!....cheers.....................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

JG, I am so looking forward to going to Inglewood again this year, it will be my fourth flyin there in my five years of flying.

The people there seem to have a love of all things aviation and they try real hard to accommodate us and make us feel welcome but I guess it works both ways as we do bring a little money and extra life to the town.

Is it true that the whole thing started with some Drifters getting held up there due to a change in the weather (perhaps someone can enlighten me with the whole story).

One thing I will miss is Wayne Fisher buzzing around in his Drifter, I know the first time I saw him disappearing behind a grove of trees along side of the runway I thought he was in trouble and then I saw him come out of the gully at the other end I realized that it was part of his repertoire.

I look forward to catching up with everyone again this year

Cheers

Ken

• Like 1

Thanks to Reg I have seen a fair few fly-ins and airshows over the last three or four years and Inglewood has had the best bacon and egg rolls of any, the two times I have got there. Since the rego renewal pile isn't moving anywhere fast, looks like I will be driving up this year.

What a great place to "bring him home" in our memories to rest. I for one would love to see Inglewood rise again to its former glory without the beauracracy. Bring it on.[ATTACH=full]21528[/ATTACH]

Niel, What is that pink thing on the apron, not the Mareeba savannah?

Been talking with the people at Inglewood, and they’re eager to name the coming fly-in on the Anzac Day weekend, the ‘Wayne Fisher Memorial Fly-In'. That sounds very appropriate, as that was where Wayne went to play, and so many of us greatly enjoyed his presence there over many years.Due to liability and bureaucratic considerations, the organizers at Inglewood do not declare, sponsor, or advertise this as an official fly-in; it’s meant to be just a spontaneous ‘gathering of the flock’. The people of Inglewood just provide an ideal venue, a very warm welcome, and catering. It’s up to us to spread the word, so please use all your social networking connections to spread the word, and actively encourage one and all to show up this year.

The turn up the last couple of years has been less than it used to be, but when it’s the ‘Wayne Fisher Memorial Fly-In’, this could be the biggest ever! Be there to be a part of it!

The organizers at Inglewood have made changes to make it more convenient for us. The dinner will now be on Saturday night instead of Sunday, and will probably be held at the airfield. As per usual, the locals will be doing all that they can to make it convenient for us, including fuel runs to town.

If you’ll be wanting accommodation in town, better make your bookings right away.

Could be good if someone would ferry Wayne’s personal Drifter and put it on display as a silent tribute. His presence will still be there, in a big way…….

Once again, please do spread the word, and plan to be there!

JG

I sure hope everyone makes an effort to be there.

Wayne deserves the tribute, and Inglewood deserves the support for their warm welcome over many years.

JG

• Agree 1

What a fantastic weekend!! A real fly in with the awesome community of Inglewood 100% behind sport aviation. The local community groups of Lions, Rural Fire Service and the countless volunteers. Thank you to all pilots who attended and chipped in and recognised this support at last nights dinner, the fundraiser was extremely well received by the locals who only want to make the flyin better for us!

No issues, lots of flying and heaps of smiles and tall stories, and the earlier weekend beats the winter chill....Even better plans next year and a fitting weekend to commemorate the legend, Wayne, we all took a moment for you last night mate.

BE THEREFOR INGLEWOOD 2014.

Enquireis via PM please,

Neil.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

Guest Maj Millard

Well done ballpoint, I'll see who we can rustle up for the trip South next year.........................Maj...012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Inglewood was my first flyin that I actually flew into. What a great bunch of locals and the dinner on saturday night was just fantastic they certainly know how to cook those country folk. They are keen to keep it going and even make it better. Great facilities a good toilet block and a set of lovely hot showers powered the original way with a 44 gallon drum over a fire...just fantastic. WE got there reasonably early around 10.30am. A stack of aircraft came in I would think there was around 50 there on saturday. I used this as a trip to sort out any issues with what I take and how to charge devices also my light weight camping gear and I learned a lot hopefully will have it all perfect for Old Station at the end of May. There was every aircraft there from GA, Ultralight, trikes, drifters and even a crazy hang glider dude with a small electric start two stroke motor on a set of legs at the back and a folding prop he took off and dissappeared soaring for more than a hour or two. The airstrip itself is sweet as....huge bitumin runway really a great place and not far from town either only a short walk. Next year?...I will be there with bells on it is such a friendly place

IMG_0992_1.jpg.e4b277cb841131dec8d316ddbd56b3be.jpg

IMG_0989_1.jpg.62e0650b206dfed0b6202692b51e9247.jpg

IMG_0988_1.jpg.718969c145654cbb177d05faa688ee48.jpg

IMG_0994_1.jpg.2ea42a3ae47cdabd5094e6d37813e8c3.jpg

HI Guys. How , when, why Inglewood changed weekends???? I'm all ready to go next week end, First Weekend of May . What ???? Devastated I missed it!!! I have been going for the last 9 years religiously on the mayday week end and just hear that it was this one. Can someone tell me why its changed and how it was communicated. I know few others planning to go this weekend too. ???? I'm gut wrenched as I was friends with Wayne and just wanted to be there for him. Thanks Leigh . Text or Call . 0418977555

G'day Leigh, the change came about due to the state govt. changing the labour day weekend from May to October to align with NSW. This was the prime reason. The change to the weekend following Anzac will sometimes mean no long weekend, and as a result the dinner has shifted to the Saturday night which I and many believe is a better move. My experience is most pilots will do the fly in Saturday - home Sunday style fly in and this means better for pilots and the attendance at the dinner. As a Side bar this now also doesn't conflict with Childers which is on this coming weekend, and it is proving to be another exceptional fly in in the Sth East.Perhaps you can make this or "Wings of Life" RFDS charity fly in is also on this coming weekend at Archer Falls( Ron Fields) at Nuerum creek at the base of Mt Archer, 25 K west of Caboolture.

In any case next years Inglewood will be 25-27 April 2014 and this will coincide with a long weekend, with much planning already underway, with the focus on safe fun flying and giving back to the local Inglewood community. Hope to see you and many others there.

Cheers

Ballpoint.

Firefly, it was changed because there is no long weekend in May anymore, the Labor day holiday got moved to October (I think).

The plan for next year as far as I know is to make it on the Anzac day weekend again.

As for the fly-in itself: we were the first aircraft to fly into Inglewood on Thursday afternoon :

84994689_1(Copy).jpg.836e04b9d95012ce9e5791ffed98f05b.jpg

There were 2 more trikes, a powered para-glider and and a hang-glider with a mosquito engine on it before us, but they all arrived in a car or on a trailer

216842279_2(Copy).jpg.bd81d31aea67e447dc7c0f4754b6ec5a.jpg

Couple more showed up on Friday:

624950963_3(Copy).jpg.86ddd3273722a3e0ea8596eee591aa27.jpg

And on Saturday evening there was hardly any space left to park:

237070000_6(Copy).jpg.5991dfe40496e5af0dcec7db65019318.jpg

1058283754_4(Copy).jpg.8fd11178b0b717a5504a82611f8fc696.jpg

137485566_5(Copy).jpg.9d159f333a8263920901f557290bf800.jpg

There was a good turnout of trikes, If Neil had flown in by trike as promised that would have been one more, but it turned into Savannah central on the front row. Must have been a Jabiru picnic at Bundaberg was there?004_oh_yeah.gif.82b3078adb230b2d9519fd79c5873d7f.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Kyle, Good to hear you made Inglewood mate, and great to see you back in the saddle again, we're all pumped here for Old Station on 25-26th May, and are planning a round-a-bout fly down, via the Mt Coolon pub on Thursday night (23rd), then -Moranbah-Dingo-Old Station...WX permitting of course. Planned arrival at OS late Friday arvo in time for a great feed and good company. Yes Inglewood is a great place for a fly-in, and hopefully we from the North (desert dwellers) can all get there next year....Good to hear it all went off well in Waynes' memory!...........................Maj...014_spot_on.gif.1f3bdf64e5eb969e67a583c9d350cd1f.gif gangnam.gif.007997afc91fff9e44056d93617435e4.gif

What happened to you Steve?....one minute you were there the next you had dissappeared

My daughter collapsed from dehydration and after short lie down under Martin and AnnMaree Jacksons wing, she didn't improve so I spent two hours at the hospital, about half an hour back at the field to try and let Annmaree know how we got on, then headed home about five hours earlier than planned. I would like to get their number so i can ring and thank them for their help if anyone here could PM the phone number to me that would be great.