Do u work out the arm ?

Doug Evans

• 8 months later...

The 'ARM' he is talking about is the distance from a reference point, that a weight is taken for weight and balance calculations.

Looking at his numbers (for an RV-4) I would say he is working from the nose somewhere, either front of spinner or maybe prop backplate.

This will give him all positive numbers, which a simple app like that would prefer.

However, it gives a CofG as a position with reference from that point on the nose...

The paperwork I have for the Lightwing works from the leading edge of the wing, which means positive numbers behind the leading edge, and negative numbers in front of the wing.

The upshot of this is that the calculations will come back as a position back from the leading edge, which is something you can visually relate to a lot easier.

Check if the app runs in inches or centimetres?

(Remember, centimetres are for Dress Makers !, Engineers use Millimetres)

The metric coordinates for a GR582 are around;

Mainwheels ~ 16mm behind Leading edge, (GR912 mains are around 150mm in front of Leading edge, so a negative number),

Tailwheel ~ 3950mm behind Leading edge,

Pilot seats ~ 307mm behind Leading edge,

Fuel tanks ~ 180mm behind Leading edge.

The published CofG range for the Lightwing varies depending on date and model, but they want the numbers to come out between 260mm (17%) and 288mm (19%) aft of the Leading edge.

Numbers out side this range (like back to 300mm or 20%) are not going to be mentioned here...022_wink.gif.2137519eeebfc3acb3315da062b6b1c1.gif

• Helpful 2

• 1 month later...
Does not the aircraft have that in the manual?

Yes, the CofG range is published in the Pilot notes/Manual.

My GR912 states a range of 17.3% to 25%.

Even the early LW-1's had data in the manual.

Any one know how to work out the arm for weight & balance for a lightwing as I would like to set it in ozrunway b&w sheets .033_scratching_head.gif.b541836ec2811b6655a8e435f4c1b53a.gif

u might be right about going for a lightwing gr doug good backup fun to fly which is what i got into this for in the first place australian product and affordable so i can just get out there and go when the time comes thanks for ya words

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
Yes, the CofG range is published in the Pilot notes/Manual.My GR912 states a range of 17.3% to 25%.

Even the early LW-1's had data in the manual.

So how would I put that in to ozrunway wb setup Could u do a template and paste to copy off ?

I not really good at that config stuff ?