Damaged Prop for Rotax 503 needed

Does anyone have an old prop for a Rotax 503? It doesn't need to be airworthy, could have some damage etc.

A friend has a 503 on a plane that's being repaired in due course when his funds allow, and the engine needs to be ground-run to keep it happy in the meantime. So a slightly damaged prop is being sought in the hope that it wouldn't be too expensive for him. I have a prop balancer and he's a whizz at glass/epoxy so he can make a bit of blade damage good enough for ground running.

Thanks, Alan

Guest nunans

You can run a fan cooled 503 without the prop you just need to back the idle screws out before you start it so it doesn't over rev. If you can get a prop it would be better as it would put a bit of load on, but if you can't, then try it without.

You can run a fan cooled 503 without the prop you just need to back the idle screws out before you start it so it doesn't over rev. If you can get a prop it would be better as it would put a bit of load on, but if you can't, then try it without.

OK, thanks for that. Maybe things have changed with the newer 503s but years ago the factory said never to do that as it may contribute to crankshaft fracturing. So, whether true or not it would probably be prudent to avoid the possibility altogether, I'd hate to be blamed if the crank broke ... If no-one has an old prop I'll get him to make up a blank club and use that instead.

OK, thanks for that. Maybe things have changed with the newer 503s but years ago the factory said never to do that as it may contribute to crankshaft fracturing. So, whether true or not it would probably be prudent to avoid the possibility altogether, I'd hate to be blamed if the crank broke ... If no-one has an old prop I'll get him to make up a blank club and use that instead.

If your mate doesn't do any good with a damaged freebie I can perhaps get him back in the ball game. It's not a give-away and it's not for sale but I have a surplus two-blade, grd/adj 55 1/2" Ivo Prop that I'd be happy to loan him for an extended period for his testing. R503 hub bolt pattern & LH rot fm rear. He pays postage both ways and agrees to walk naked (backwards) in the Sydney Mardi Gras if he breaks/loses it. Standing by. cheers Riley

If your mate doesn't do any good with a damaged freebie I can perhaps get him back in the ball game. It's not a give-away and it's not for sale but I have a surplus two-blade, grd/adj 55 1/2" Ivo Prop that I'd be happy to loan him for an extended period for his testing. R503 hub bolt pattern & LH rot fm rear. He pays postage both ways and agrees to walk naked (backwards) in the Sydney Mardi Gras if he breaks/loses it. Standing by. cheers Riley

That's a really kind offer Riley, thanks. I'll give it a few days and see if anyone has a damaged one first and then get back to you if we don't have any luck. Thanks again.

I should have mentioned, it's a tractor prop we're after, is that left or right rotation on a 503?

Alan,

I have a 3 blade precision timber prop off my shadow you can borrow if you wish (as Riley said, not a give away, its just become spare). Its just come off a 582, and is just sitting around at the moment.

I'm about 2 hours north of Brissie.

Have a sweetapple, wood, tractor,60 dia x 42 inch pitch, suit 503,B or C box, nil damage, (see my ad.)

Took it off my Kestral and replaced with 3 blade Brolga, so was airworthy.

Give it away for $100 ... Brisbane 0466 983 105