The best way to handle turbulence

Why do I still feel nervous in turbulence in LSA and yet i dont get nervous in a GA plane or when I am flying two up and what is the best way to handle this?

• Agree 1

I still get a bit of it too, especially when I'm on my own as the plane is a LOT more lively then. My solution is to grit my teeth, clench my buttocks and press on. After about an hour in the turbulence it starts to lose the fear factor. At the end of 2 hours I'm quite comfortable with it. However, if I don't fly for a few weeks I go backwards a bit, but not completely back to square 1. The worst thing for my confidence is to let the turbulence get the better of me and cut my session short. That seems to reinforce my apprehension.

HTH

• Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Informative 1

The GA aircraft probably weighs more, has a higher wing loading and more inertia, so it isn't affected to the same degree.

Slow down in severe turbulence so you don't stress the airframe. Consider climbing higher as aurographic effects and thermal activity generally diminish with height. Tighten your belt.

I get thrown around a fair bit in the Auster at times and don't like it much which is a bit silly when I used to go chasing thermal bumps in gliders years ago.

Probably an age thing tied in with cognitive degeneration.

Kaz

• Agree 1

Thanks guys, I thought it was just me and I did not like lightness of the plane. i have been up as much as I can in all sorts of weather to try and be more comfortable with the plane and conditions. I must say that the LSA class is cost effective to fly but it comes with other down sides ie difficulty to hold straight and level , susceptible to turbulence , easy to over load if not careful.

Regards Stevron

Try not to fight the turbulence. Strap in tight and try to be one with the plane, roll with it, feel as if you are part of the structure.

As has been explained the heavier the aircraft and the higher the wing loading the less you feel the turbulence. Ultralights by their nature are light as Kaz has pointed out. The Auster is a GA aircarft and all up about 906kg, but has a very low wing loading so like an ultralight you feel the turbulence.

Also do yourself a favour and NEVER fly when there is a SIGMET out for moderate to severe turbulence, moderate to severe is definitely to be avoided, you quickly run out of control effect and you also run out of landing are options.

I do a fair bit of X country flying, Consequentialy I am prepared for some rough turbulence

Kaz has the answer above, try a different altitude. Amazining how just a few feet will make a difference.

Read and obey your published turbulate air speed

Quite a few guys I know will not fly if they can't drop a hankie at their feet from waist high and land at their toes.

It's a part of flying and the experience is invaluable as sure as heck it will happen sometime, so don't be perturbed

Phil

I've found living and flying around Melbourne and the Yarra valley turbulence is an every flight affair( occasional calm day aside) I've found that trying to fight the aircraft can make it worse, I tend to let the air do it's thing , and only catch it when the plane rolls past about 10 degrees( maybe a bit more , going through some of the passes here is VERY lumpy), especially if I'm alone, PAX get a bit more care, the biggest thing is having confidence in the airframe, slow it down into the green on the ASI and if its really bad well into the green, and trust the aircraft, you trusted it to leave the ground now trust it to keep you aloft, the forces in a steep turn are higher than most turbulence ,fearing that the aircraft won't handle the bumps is often the biggest thing that we worry about, so pull the straps tighter and look for some smooth air ,maybe higher, and as I think of it the QLD outback is probably the bumpiest place I've flown, 9-10000 in the middle of the day can still loosen your fillings.