Alignment of the rudder

Should the steerable nose wheel be aligned with the rudder?, mine is not. My autopilot seems to be working hard to keep my plane on course. Does it matter if the nose wheel is not in alignment, out by say 10 or so degrees?

The auto pilot holds perfect altitude, directional control is poor.

Check the rigging / maintenance data in your aircraft service manual for the proper answer. Having said that, if you find the ball is always offset, it can help to rig the rudder a little offset to allow coordinated flight 'hands & feet off'.

Well, if the nose does act in assisting in directional control (I am not saying it does) but if it is facing in another direction to the rudder could it steer the nose of the plane away from the HDG and then the auto pilot pulls it back and back and forth it goes.

That's a theory

If the nose wheel is faired then it would have a more significant effect. It certainly is large enough to cause a deflection in any case. Try holding something of comparable size with 10 degrees deflection out the car window at 100 kph ( or don't, but you see what I mean).

I'm guessing the the tire is wearing pretty badly as it will always land at an angle to the planes flight direction. Do you have to kick the plane straight on nose-wheel touch down? Have you tried landing on a paved runway?

Stay safe and get it aligned mate.

I would check to see if the rudder is rigged as per the maintenance manual. Another check is o put a spirit level on the seat rails and see where the bubble sits compared to the ball and adjust the T&B to match.

If the nose wheel is faired then it would have a more significant effect. It certainly is large enough to cause a deflection in any case. Try holding something of comparable size with 10 degrees deflection out the car window at 100 kph ( or don't, but you see what I mean).

I agree , I've had the same issue when test flying new aircraft , it doesn't take much mis alignment of the nose wheel to rudder to upset the balance , it's even more pronounced with a front spat .

What I've done is get the plane to taxi straight with the rudder peddles in the neutral position & then offset the rudder 5 mm to the left or right ( depending on tractor / pusher ect.) flight test , and adjust accordingly ( you have to think it through which way to ajust )until the balls in the middle . This assumes that the wing & flap incidence are correct

Cheers Mike