Delta Recreational Flying Services

This information may be fine, but there are two key sets of information you must comply with:

1. RAA regulations as set out in RAA documentation.

2. All CASA regulations applicable to using airspace and landing areas (in other words all the laws)

Many people take the short cut of referring to proprietory books, or CD's, but:

(a) The regulations and procedures you need to comply with are very badly set out, with very poor indexing, and changes are continually occurring very poor notice, and very poor change documentation, so the only trustworthy method of study is going to the living documents on the CASA and Airservices websites.

(b) Knowing this, instructors will often set study tasks which involve trawling through the sites, and lately I've seen posts asking for the answers, and posts giving the answers. One poster even went as far as saying he didn't want any crap about XXX, however without that he would actually be operating unsafely when it came to cross country flying - he just didn't know that.

Don't get caught up in this - the point the instructor is trying to teach is how to navigate the documents in order to get an accurate answer on information applying today.

It might seem overwhelming initially, but if you make notes on the websites, and the regulation pathways, you'll be much better informed and much safer.

TP,

I hope that you didn't just look at the page the link went to. If you had a look at the whole site, especially the "About Us" page, you would have seen that one partner claims to have a lot of experience, and that his partner is responsible for updating the material. I'd say that they have the competency to keep up to date of the ever-changing regs and procedures.

I don't know these people, so I'm waiting for the Sandgropers to get out of bed this morning and answer Nev25's question.

OME

Im wondering what thoughts are on this Has anyone used this material

I know Stuart and have had a few conversations with him - he had a stand at Westfly last year.

I have never used his material so can't comment.

Pud

Hi Nev,

I purchased "Flight Training Manual Theory for Recreational Pilots" about 18 months ago. At that stage I was getting close to doing my BAK, Human Factors and Navs.

I found the info on the CD great for studying, having the theory put into plain English is a big help. I also had the Dyson-Holland books for those subjects as well and found that they all complemented each other. I have loaned the CD to an acquaintance who doesn't study well, it is the only material he has at the moment and so far has not needed anything else - he has about 15 hours under his belt and seems to be going fine.

I can't comment on the integrity of the people at Delta other than they were fine to deal with and even sent me some updates at one stage.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Puddles

Why not just keep up to date with CASA's publications like the rest of us?

Henry Ford built a manufacturing empire not by doing things himself, but by hiring people who could. If I bought these people's CD, I'd feel a bit like Henry.

OME

And if you don't have an instructor yet

Is it not a good thing to start studying beforehand

or more to the question is the material suitable for studying before Embarking on the Lessons or while buying time to save for lessons

• Agree 1

Got to say that I have made use of Delta, Dyson-Holland, and Bob Tait texts. I would rate them personally Bob Tait, then Dyson and then Delta. No offence to Delta but I found the structure of the books to be convoluted. The text (book) seemed to be in a per flight lesson format. I personally prefer to learn my theory in a per subject format. Please note that this is from memory as I haven't looked at the Delta text for quite some time and it may have changed considerably since then. Fly Safe FL