Soul of drifter

tanaz14

Sad drama

The pilot jumped from the plane to his death

The plane landed alone

No damage to the plane...

http://www.mako.co.il/news-israel/local/Article-2ddf825d7baee31004.htm

Avner Zchory, camper flight school, took off yesterday airstrip Ein Vered and left behind a letter with instructions on how to proceed if dead. Yesterday, after many hours of searching, his body was found near Highway 90 and the plane in Jordan. Today he returned to Israel

Yesterday the pilot's body was found near a village on the cliffs by the rescue and the many volunteers who helped search. Helmet was found near her body and his plane was identified by the Jordanian army two miles inside Jordan.

http://www.blincmagazine.com/forum/ga/thread19808.html

http://www.abpic.co.uk/popup.php?q=1161173

How did the plane land on its own? This story makes no sense.

Yes, with every sympathy regarding the man's passing there seems to be something missing in this story.

If I'm reading it right the second link on the OP takes us to a BASE jump site where the deceased is known as being a paraplegic sportsman and the Drifter is described as 'his own' aircraft, whereas in the first post, translated, it is said that the deceased was a student flying a school plane solo. Having had a Drifter for many years and deliberately flown it at and beyond the permitted extremes of CG just to see what happens, because at one time I had a regular and rather belligerent co-flyer who delighted on unbuckling and standing on the front seat to undress from her warm gear as the day warmed up, so I wanted to know what would happen if she ever fell out.

As a result of those ballasting experiments I concluded that if my co-flyer ever took a dive I'd have to climb from the rear seat into the front regardless of the temporary gyrations of the pilot-less aircraft as I became utterly convinced that the Drifter would not fly without a person in the front seat even if there was a pilot in the rear trying to control it from the rear - let alone it apparently gliding to a smooth landing empty.

So, in this case I suspect there's something we're not being told. Just my 2c.

• Agree 2

When you study the W&B details of a drifter, I would agree with HITC. except....

The only way to balance it would be to have a weight in the front and fly it from the back. If the weight was correctly calculated it would be in balance when you jumped out of the rear seat. Nev

When you study the W&B details of a drifter, I would agree with HITC. except....The only way to balance it would be to have a weight in the front and fly it from the back. If the weight was correctly calculated it would be in balance when you jumped out of the rear seat. Nev

Looking at the pic of the Drifter in the report you can see the control modifications for the paraplegic pilot on the front control column, so I guess he probably couldn't have flown it from the rear seat.

A witness saidThe pilot shut engine

Before jumping

Tank was half an hour fuel

Facts plane landed alone

According to the news report, Google translation re-printed below, it took many hours of helicopter searching before they found the body, which kind of makes you wonder why. If there was a witness as suggested they'd know where the event took place.

So there's still information missing from this story as far as I can tell. Of course it may be that the plane wasn't found 'landed' in Jordan, but 'crashed' in Jordan ... and the news pic of the plane apparently landed in the desert could well be just a file pic of the plane taken on an earlier date.

Actually, re-reading the news report it does say that the plane crashed in Jordan, it's only the OP that says it landed there and 'no damage to the plane', perhaps that was assumed from the news pic ...

It's a sad event whatever the details are, RIP Avner.

•  

Ultra-light aircraft returned crashed in Jordan

Avner Zchory, camper flight school, took off yesterday airstrip Ein Vered and left behind a letter with instructions on how to proceed if dead. Yesterday, after many hours of searching, his body was found near Highway 90 and the plane in Jordan.Today he returned to Israel

Nir bees | News 2 | Posted 05/28/13 14:21

Find Jordanian military plane

Zchory, a student at the flying school, took off in the morning airstrip Ein Vered and he disappeared. When she realized that the family went to the police and disappeared with the Air Force launched extensive searches. Christmas in a police helicopter and over the sea - but for hours no sign of the whereabouts.

Yesterday the pilot's body was found near a village on the cliffs by the rescue and the many volunteers who helped search. Helmet was found near her body and his plane was identified by the Jordanian army two miles inside Jordan.

Avner Zchory late

Although Zchory left a letter in which instructions how to act after his death, it is unclear whether the suicide finalized. Several years ago, was involved in an accident Zchory mortally wounded during the air, since he's paralyzed from the waist down. Despite the difficulties and the long rehabilitation over the years has Zchory extreme sports enthusiasts, a few months ago from the pilot study, during which he died.

A witness called

Report only in the evening

When he saw the news

On the case

1982969281_HVC.jpg.debe2fa4447a66f201e724332e91d27a.jpg

the plain Before loaded on truck

One's opinion

Flight Guide

"Laws of physics and aerodynamics apply to Driftr Despite his soul.

Right and front seat weight, center of gravity will be very reverse. But, what actually happens is that after lifting the nose and reducing the speed to 0 will start to fall. Fall, aerodynamics wins then he goes back to being an airplane with the center of gravity back, and once again raise the nose to 0 and fall ...... Great luck is apparently "landed" at which flew down and picked up the nose again and hit the ground in a horizontal position or even up and stopped ..... "

A witness called

Report only in the evening

When he saw the news

On the case.........

But, what actually happens is that after lifting the nose and reducing the speed to 0 will start to fall. Fall, aerodynamics wins then he goes back to being an airplane with the center of gravity back, and once again raise the nose to 0 and fall ...... Great luck is apparently "landed" at which flew down and picked up the nose again and hit the ground in a horizontal position or even up and stopped ..... "

Ah, yes tanaz, I see what you mean on both points.

Remarkable. The Drifter is a tough aircraft, and stable in roll, you can see that the main landing gear legs are bent which would result from a very hard landing with so little weight in the plane i.e. without a pilot. Very sad.

I've seen the U/C bent in a drifter without the landing being extremely hard. Perhaps it WILL do a series of stalls and dives. When the engine came out of a Chipmunk after a prop blade coming off it was in much the same situation re Cof G. The pilot although not able to control it was not deceased ( I believe) as the descent rate was not that high, ( as it would be if it span normally). We cannot be sure the pilot suicided for certain in this case. People might leave advice like that IF they feel there is a risk in what they are doing. Nev

• Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...

Posted investigation report

Even more pictures

http://media.mot.gov.il/PDF/AIAI_HE/aiai-report-66-13.pdf

Can be translated

Using Google

The evidence shows that on 26.5.2013 at 05:00, he went out to the pilot house and drove an eye pad

Ward near where he parked his private plane flight studies performed.

LZ findings indicate that the pilot, independently and without assistance, prepared the aircraft is parked

Closed storage garage, the flight time is 6:00 and for the pilot flew the helicopter pad, was

Castle and went over to the south-east to the Dead Sea.

Testimony evidence suggests that the end of the journey was a few minutes before 09:00 am, in the community

Prairie cliffs, and some three hours after it began. Test procedure focused on the detection and recovery path

Flight the pilot performed, based on personal background and evidence.

Points in the flight path

Around 5:55, the plane scouted over town castle.

Around 7:00, it was one of the instructors pad, he noticed an open garage storage of aircraft,

The pilot's car and wheelchair - but not attributed to matter.

Around 7:05, the plane scouted over the damper side, performs two low passes over the runway

When the end of each sortie, the pilot pulled high.

Around 7:30 scouted plane over the Dead Sea, at 500 feet or so to the south.

Few minutes before 09 o'clock works sources cliffs near the village, who with his friend the gate

Of the border, check the water cooler, on the Jordanian border, heard the engine noise of aircraft,

And saw a body falling from the sky and heard a loud smack of hitting the ground.

Only the next morning, after the employee watched the news and report what he saw, managed security

Scouring the area, which indicated employee found the body hundred yards away he seems.

Test aircraft incident data, required fuel, flight speed and the possible paths are

That segment flight from takeoff to Masada and the Dead Sea at 07:30, compatible with the

Data plane performance, and indicates almost direct flight there.

Flight segment, the DSW finding pilot point is short and gave the subunit

Gmhua second flight lasted about an hour and a half.

Note that is not first, document or map depicting the flight planning

Dear folks, Avner was my hangar mate and I can only confirm what my fellow countryman Tanaz14 has written. Notwithstanding derigging for flatbed transport, the late Avner's drifter was intact when it was returned to my hangar. Sad tale combined with an interesting aeronautical curio.

• Informative 1

Not the first time an A/C has landed pilotless..I think peeps forget how forward speed changes the Cof G.(PILOT or NO pilot...)

Any R/C Builder can confirm this, the exception would be a nose heavy A/C as its all down hill without trim/input. They don't all go into Spin when the front gets light..IMO,I found most of time they would Feather as Tanaz describes,(even with the engine torn off) and the other times they'd spiral in to there demise . Very SAD but an intriguing storey. MY Condolences

Sad story!

I read that the first spin recoveries were discovered after the pilot had bailed out, change of CG , control surfaces trailing in the slipstream

I reckon a lot of the time the aircraft flies inspite of us , first flights in something like an RV or going from a 172 into a Tecnam and I know I was all over the place ,let go of the stick and it suddenly became a nice stable ride!

Matty

Guest Maj Millard

I have no problem believing that the Drifter could fly to the ground on it's own, and have another look at the gear leg ...no damage there. Entirely possible that this aircraft managed a landing on it's own. RIP the deceased Drifter pilot.........Maj...hurry_up.gif.177b070ad0fed9378055f023fbf484f7.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Remember the Piper Malibu that landed itself in the Florida Everglades ?...The pilot parachuted from it over the middle of the country, in a failed attempt to stage his own disappearance . Pilot had even put a bullet throught the front windshield to make it look like he had hit a bird or something. Cabin door was found open after the plane was found gear up intact in the Everglades . It had flown over two states until the fuel finally tan out. The 'pilot' who was massively in debt through company misfortune was located and is now keeping a gaol cell company.....................Maj...095_cops.gif.448479f256bea28624eb539f739279b9.gif