Learning from growing major truck fire risks

While perhaps of passing interest to someone who owns an aircraft, these problems are occurring on some of the most sophisticated trucks in the industry, and it's worthwhile looking at the links which are causing the fires.

http://www.fullyloaded.com.au/technical-news/articleid/83921.aspx

Unsurprisingly the greatest single causal factor is electrical caused by the lack of circuit protection. What amazes me is how many ultralights do not have an isolating master switch that could be activated in an emergency landing to isolate all DC power. I think a lot of people seriously underestimate the fire ignition source that a short or overload in a DC circuit is. Any substantial structural damage on impact could short circuit unprotected cables and be all that is needed to start a post impact fire. Even worse a fire started from an overloaded unprotected circuit in flight.

Even fuel everywhere following an impact will not ignite if there is no ignition source, so why don't we at least eliminate one of the ignition sources with proper circuit protection.

This an industry problem not defined to planes or trucks; how many people add all sorts of electrical loads to 4WDs and don't protect the circuits either mechanically or electrically?

Unsurprisingly the greatest single causal factor is electrical caused by the lack of circuit protection. What amazes me is how many ultralights do not have an isolating master switch that could be activated in an emergency landing to isolate all DC power...Even fuel everywhere following an impact will not ignite if there is no ignition source, so why don't we at least eliminate one of the ignition sources with proper circuit protection.

David I mentioned my battery isolator in another thread

http://www.recreationalflying.com/threads/jabiru-trouble-shooting.57094/#post-279023

It works. I also have the battery behind the firewall, so it is isolated from hot engine and fuel.

I saw that Lyle, good thinking 99.

It was in that thread that I noticed it mentioned that Jabs don't have a battery master switch, was that correct? Can anyone confirm whether that is so?