Video of first few solos in our RV9A

Hi all. After being forced to hold off on my flying lessons (my last one was in September last year) I am now back on track to getting my RAA licence. Here's a video of my first solo in our RV9A at Bradfield (near Atkinson's Dam in QLD), followed by a couple more solo circuits at Watts Bridge (near Toogoolawah in QLD). I hope it inspires others who get stuck in their training to keep at it and be patient, as eventually the planets do line up.

016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif

PS. Thanks to Bob, Jim and Kev for your help so far.

• Like 5

Sorry about the quality of the in cabin video. The plastic mount on the Drift 170 camera allows the camera to viabrate causing the shaking and waves. I solved the problem on the wing mount (the first solo) by modifying the wing mount to support the camera, but I haven't modified the cab mount because I wasn't expecting it to be a problem in out of the breeze. I remounted the in cabin mount on a more solid structure, thinking that would do the trick. Back to the drawing board.

Hi all. After being forced to hold off on my flying lessons (my last one was in September last year) I am now back on track to getting my RAA licence. Here's a video of my first solo in our RV9A at Bradfield (near Atkinson's Dam in QLD), followed by a couple more solo circuits at Watts Bridge (near Toogoolawah in QLD). I hope it inspires others who get stuck in their training to keep at it and be patient, as eventually the planets do line up.016_ecstatic.gif.156a811a440b493b0c2bea54e43be5cc.gif

PS. Thanks to Bob, Jim and Kev for your help so far.

Lucky you! The-9A would just have to be one of the best trainers ever! What a shame we can't obtain a factory built model for use as a school trainer. What engine do you have in it? Notice that it took a little time to lift off - wondering if you are using a take-off flap setting on grass strips? I've found that to be a good practice, but maybe only because I've more power to overcome the early drag? Are you finding that you're using up all the back trim while solo? 20L water in the baggage area soon brings the trim back toward mid range. safe flying.

happy days,

• Like 1

Lucky you! The-9A would just have to be one of the best trainers ever! What a shame we can't obtain a factory built model for use as a school trainer. What engine do you have in it? Notice that it took a little time to lift off - wondering if you are using a take-off flap setting on grass strips? I've found that to be a good practice, but maybe only because I've more power to overcome the early drag? Are you finding that you're using up all the back trim while solo? 20L water in the baggage area soon brings the trim back toward mid range. safe flying. happy days,

poteroo,

I have to agree with you about the 9a as a trainer.

It is fitted with a little Lycoming low compression 0-235. Her first solo take of was at Bradfield on 36. And the first part of the take off roll is up hill and sometimes it can be a little soft down there. But her second solo take off (after the instructor got out) was at Watts Bridge on 12. You will notice in the video she lifted off just before #2 taxi way and the distance from the piano keys to the #2 taxi way is 700 feet. She started the roll after the piano keys and was of before the #2 taxi way, so I would estimate her take off roll at about 600 feet. The Drift 170 camera has a wide angle lens which makes everyting look a lot further away, so it would look like she had traveled a lot further. There was about 80 litres of fuel on board and the prop fitted allows us to cruise (2400 rpm at altitude) at 120 knots IAS (about 135-140 kts TAS) and sipping 20 litres an hour. While that is not fast for a RV it is economical for RV!!!!

We always use first flap setting (7*) for take off (unless we are on a long sealed airfield) and for a short field we use the second setting (15*).