Radios - who is best in class?

Help .... I need to buy a new radio, who makes the best and why?

I haven't bought a new radio in some years and I'm in catch-up mode trying to get my head around what's out there today ... opinions welcome?

Cheers

Vev

• Winner 1

It depends on how much room you have in your panel and especially behind the panel. But IMO, you can't go past the iCom A210. The downside is it requires a standard 6-1/4" radio stack sized area in and behind the panel.

I love the icom range, I have an A22 in my Drifter and an A4 in my Chinook, both give great transmission and reception, price is good, but it's not just the radio, you need a good antenna tuned and mounted well as well as a clean power system free from static and headsets. I have found even the cheap headsets are good as long as you use two of the same headsets through an intercom, I have just done this with my old Icom A4 and it works well.. The Icom A210 is by far my most recommended radio if it fits and you can afford it.

Thanks guys .. I bought an icom 210 in 2005 and it has worked very well, albeit an was an early model and didn't have duel watch.

Is there any thoughts on the smaller type of radios .. Is there any out there worth considering or avoiding?

Cheers

Vev

Is there any thoughts on the smaller type of radios .. Is there any out there worth considering or avoiding?

Vev

Our first Sportstar had a Filser radio, at a glance looked just like a MicroAir but was of typical German quality. Definitely not cheap but another case of you get what you pay for. I would happily have another one if I wanted a smaller round unit.

The Trig radio might be worth considering. They make an outstanding transponder and their radio has the same feature of seperate R/T unit and display head. This is great for panels that have very limited room.

The Trig radio might be worth considering. They make an outstanding transponder and their radio has the same feature of seperate R/T unit and display head. This is great for panels that have very limited room.

Thanks for this guy

Scott, interesting comment about transponder as I'm also looking into fitting a mode S in as well ... also keen to hear any comments about transponders too?

I do like the sound of these small round systems as Kyle as I could use the space in the panel and de-clutter things.

Cheers

Vev

• 2 weeks later...

Older Xcoms may be good. Newer ones ?? My recently purchased Xcom had a fault as delivered - stopped transmitting anything except sidetone after engine start. RX was OK. Went back to the factory and came back "repaired"..with the same fault. At least one other user has reported a similar problem in this forum. An older Xcom of the same model, which I have on loan works fine in the aircraft so it is nothing to do with the installation.

I've decided to go with the Trig radio and mode S transponder ... all of my enquiries say they are very robust and of excellent quality in a very compact matching package.

Cheers

Vev