Re: Drifter Registration

TexanFan

Hi Guys,

I was just wondering about my Austflight Drifter with 582 engine 1989 Model which is due for registration next month. I would like to ask those of you who recently re-registered for the year 2013-'14 what is required to submit in as far as "MTOW Documentation" is concerned to comply with CASA. When I bought this Drifter all that was given to me at the time was the Receipt and the "Drifter A-532-582 Owners Manual" which shows the MTOW and Centre of Gravity for the Wire-Braced 582 Drifters series from 1988 to 1993, but a specific piece of Document which shows this information for my Drifter aircraft was never given to me. My question now, if this particular "MTOW Documentation" was not supplied by the manufacturer, what did those of you who

recently re-registered for the year 2013-'14 have to do to get your aircraft registered with RA-Aus to comply with CASA.

Depending on who I speak with at the RA-Aus office, each time I seem to get a different answer. Your reply and feedback would be very much appriciated. Thank you. 012_thumb_up.gif.cb3bc51429685855e5e23c55d661406e.gif

Guest Maj Millard

Generally the Austflight Drifters have a sticker attached, either on the rear of the front seat or in the lower area of the cockpit centre console..........Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

G'day,

Last week I submitted my renewal for my 583WB Drifter. The letter they sent out required me to provide,

Photos of the placards in the cockpit,

Photos of the registration markings on the wing and boom. ( I was worried they would reject that the first zero isn't present in my rego.)

Statement of Compliance ? ( I rang the RA Aus and was told it can be supplied by the manufacturer, but when I said Austflight doesn't exist anymore, she told me she would work it out for me.)

MTOW documentation.

For the MTOW my renewal said that it currently weighs in at 517kg. Might be why they asked for a weight and balance. I rang the tech director for advice. I was told to read the latest Tech report that he had written in the current magazine. This left me a little lost as to how to proceed.

Weighing the Drifter isn't difficult. 3 sets of scales, level the aircraft on the tailboom. The Form for Weight and balance is on the RA Aus website for aircraft less than 600 kg. The datum point to use is where the front vertical support meets the boom. The C.G. needs to be between 4o6mm and 533mm from this point. The maths isn't difficult and you need to measure the distance from this Datum to the tailwheel. ( in mm).

Mine worked out at 235kg empty (5l unusable), 75kg pilot gave a C.G at 470mm from datum. It weighed about 48kg on the tailwheel with 75kg in the front seat.

Anyway it was submitted last week, we can wait and see. Any questions PM me and I will give you a call.

Enjoy.

• Informative 1

mine is coming up in a couple of months, this will be the first time i have had to do my own rego as Wayne used to sort it out. do they not just send out a rego reminder or does one have to actually organize it themselves coming up to the date? also how long in advance should I be getting onto it all to make sure it doesn't expire?

• Informative 1