What Should I be Studying

While trying to save for lessons I am keen to get into some theory

Wondering what should I be studying (is it advisable before lessons)

Can exams be sat before flying??

While trying to save for lessons I am keen to get into some theoryWondering what should I be studying (is it advisable before lessons)

Can exams be sat before flying??

I think it's generally best to leave the theory until you've done at least some flying. Most of what you need to learn is covered as you progress through the flying lessons. The theory exams also make the most sense when you've experienced the practical side first-hand. Instead of saving up though I think it's better to look at the lessons as a weekly expense. Nothing wrong with saving a bit of a buffer to start with but 1 lesson per week is a good aiming point. Then after you have your licence you're all set budget-wise for an hour or two's flying each week. The best schools will try to stretch your training over at least a 6-12 month period to expose you to different weather conditions and to (with most students) mold the enthusiasm for getting into the air into an enthusiasm for doing things right and making the right decisions. Keep in mind that you will not actually fly every week due to weather, instructor or aircraft limitations. Budget to fly one hour per week though and not only will you get your licence within a year but you'll have some of the best fun ever. For me flying is flying whether there's a person in the right-seat or not.

Yes, you can sit exams before flying, though as Volksy said the material makes much more sense when you've done it a few times - otherwise it's mostly a collection of abstract factoids. Maybe start with a theory book on Basic Aeronautical Knowledge (BAK) since you will need to take a test on it anyway. If you start before you fly, then when you are flying some things you read about will click. I also found that when I went back and read, I picked up more from the material. So in a way its a 2-way street, each side drawing from and reinforcing the other. So I'd say do both before and after, to get a good understanding and reinforcement. My .02c

You can learn as much as you wish about weather, navigation, principles of flight, altimetry, aerodynamics, engines, propulsion systems etc, anytime. When you start learning to FLY it is better to keep you CURRENT studies related to what you are actually doing and about to do. That will fit in with your instructors progressive plan for you. Nev