Vintage Kangaroo... the great grandfather of Australian recreational aircraft.

I recently found online from the Australian Gliding Museum ...

This Edmund Schneider ES-49b was I believe the second of the two produced by Edmund Schneider in around 1953 heralding the beginning of serious production of a line of Australian built Sailplanes that became the backbone of Australian Gliding until the glass revolution put wooden airframes out of contention. When she was first born she was a world class performance machine and soon became a record holder.

My Mum learnt to fly in this sailplane (taught by my Dad) before I was born... the video aboveshows Mum and Dad climbing in to her in the very early days (at 12mins30secs).

This is the rudder...

Please note... she was crashed after leaving the Isa... and my Dad was forever after broken hearted about that I kid you not.

• Like 4

My first glider flight was a "Kookaburra"? Does that sound right?. I think I went in it so as not to offend the owner. It flew OK but I was a total "petrol head" then and it had to have an engine up front to interest me much. ( I have changed since you will be pleased to know). Nev

Guest Maj Millard

Yes some very historic and enjoyable footage there Don, especially the towing from the Tigermoth, Auster and VW !!....thanks for posting it. That glider has such lovely lines and a really beautifull wing, I can understand your fathers discust at it's eventual demise. Would there be any surviving examples ?....................Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

My first glider flight was a "Kookaburra"? Does that sound right?. I think I went in it so as not to offend the owner. It flew OK but I was a total "petrol head" then and it had to have an engine up front to interest me much. ( I have changed since you will be pleased to know). Nev

Kookaburra would be correct...the ES52... they became the backbone of the clubs throughout Australia under the GFA...

The Kookaburra in its most common variants had a wingspan of less than 12 metres...interestingly the Kangaroo had a wingspan of 18 metres...The two machines built achieved their goal admirably and were the first of what became the largest Australian designed aircraft fleet flying.

• 4 weeks later...

I just noticed this morning that there is an airworthy ES52 Kookaburra for sale on eBay. That should bring back some memories ... my earliest glider flights were in a Kooka at Cunderdin (W.A.)

• Like 1