Bowen Catilina crash memorial weekend.....

Guest Maj Millard

Guest Maj Millard

A great weekend was had by all who attended the Memorial Servive to remember the loss of Catalina A24-24 off of Bowen NQ during 1943. Fourteen young lives were lost and it remains the highest toll of any Catilina crash worldwide during operations.

The folks at Bowen with some government and RSL assistance, have built a very impressive memorial shell on the old Catalina concrete maintenance pad on the front beach at Bowen. It is amazing to me that this expanse of concrete actually still exists, and the new memorial shell will in future be used by locals and visitors for picnics while enjoying the fantastic breezes and magic ocean views that this site offers. They have also painted the full-size outlines of two parked Catilinas on the pad which are great when viewed from the air.

Normally you might see 2-3 aircraft tied down at Bowen AIrport, but late Saturday there were over thirty aircraft who flew in for the event, and many there who overnighted. Together with quite a few Jabs there were , Savanahs, Lightwings, Foxbats, Xair, and Titan Tornado aircraft present.

The memorial service itself was well presented with the dedication of the memorial and the remembrance of the fourteen lost in the crash as their names were individually read out. Many relatives of those lost were present also. Local government officials and politicians were present together with Officers and service Chaplains from RAAF Townsville representing the RAAF to which the lost Catilina belonged.

We overnighted in Bowen at Bazzas place (local J230 owner) and spent the evening watching a fascinating video made by the Canadian operators of a restored Catilina on the operation of that aircraft, with "CHECKLISTS" being the key word !...After a great brekky at Bazzas all decided that we hadn't yet had enough adventure so organised a trip further north to Ayr where another BBQ was enjoyed. To do this we all enjoyed a lovely scenic cruise along the coast looking for whales and other marine life. Whales were spotted by the way as they are now migrating up this way for their breeding season in the warmer waters.

I didn't get photos at Bowen but attached are some at Ayr. hopefully one of the Heatrow gang will post other photos.....That's Bazzas on the BBQ for the third time during the weekend, as life continues to be very tough here in the North !..............Maj......024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

image.jpg.01cdbc526dc0718aa2c1c6ff11301659.jpg

image.jpg.b900181fb7f88de1826c669cb6e218ad.jpg

image.jpg.4299fc455bca42665d97fdb6ec589440.jpg

Guest Maj Millard
Might be time to go north?

You might as well come on up Teckair, everyone else is up here at the moment !!......mostly towing large oversize caravans and doing 80 in the 100 zones...............Maj...008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

A great weekend was had by all who attended the Memorial Servive to remember the loss of Catalina A24-24 off of Bowen NQ during 1943. Fourteen young lives were lost and it remains the highest toll of any Catilina crash worldwide during operations. The folks at Bowen with some government and RSL assistance, have built a very impressive memorial shell on the old Catalina concrete maintenance pad on the front beach at Bowen. It is amazing to me that this expanse of concrete actually still exists, and the new memorial shell will in future be used by locals and visitors for picnics while enjoying the fantastic breezes and magic ocean views that this site offers. They have also painted the full-size outlines of two parked Catilinas on the pad which are great when viewed from the air.

Normally you might see 2-3 aircraft tied down at Bowen AIrport, but late Saturday there were over thirty aircraft who flew in for the event, and many there who overnighted. Together with quite a few Jabs there were , Savanahs, Lightwings, Foxbats, Xair, and Titan Tornado aircraft present.

The memorial service itself was well presented with the dedication of the memorial and the remembrance of the fourteen lost in the crash as their names were individually read out. Many relatives of those lost were present also. Local government officials and politicians were present together with Officers and service Chaplains from RAAF Townsville representing the RAAF to which the lost Catilina belonged.

We overnighted in Bowen at Bazzas place (local J230 owner) and spent the evening watching a fascinating video made by the Canadian operators of a restored Catilina on the operation of that aircraft, with "CHECKLISTS" being the key word !...After a great brekky at Bazzas all decided that we hadn't yet had enough adventure so organised a trip further north to Ayr where another BBQ was enjoyed. To do this we all enjoyed a lovely scenic cruise along the coast looking for whales and other marine life. Whales were spotted by the way as they are now migrating up this way for their breeding season in the warmer waters.

I didn't get photos at Bowen but attached are some at Ayr. hopefully one of the Heatrow gang will post other photos.....That's Bazzas on the BBQ for the third time during the weekend, as life continues to be very tough here in the North !..............Maj......024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif

Thanks for the great report Maj. I guess it's to be an annual event , so maybe we should be looking a booking some accommodation soon !

Bob

You might as well come on up Teckair, everyone else is up here at the moment !!......mostly towing large oversize caravans and doing 80 in the 100 zones...............Maj...008_roflmao.gif.692a1fa1bc264885482c2a384583e343.gif

Yep they go past here on their way, could be a reason to fly instead.

Must be tough "roughing " it in those vans. You should see the crappy pop up I use, but it only uses an extra 15% fuel, and I can wheel it around by hand. I will be in Darwin about this time next year. ( Riding my 1918 Indian there). and will be " driving "back through Qld about a year and a week from now. If any of you guys/gals have any clues on where to go let me know please. Probably the last chance I will get to see the place at ground level. . I have never DRIVEN north of Gympie, except for a trip from Cairns to Mission Beach in a MOKE. Nev