Big Blokes

pmccarthy

How many aircraft have a weight limit for pilot plus passenger? I see a lot of big blokes getting in and out at fly ins and have seen some large instructors with large passengers. With correct fuel loading they may be within all up weight limits and CoG limits, but is there usually also a pilot plus passenger limit? I ask because I am a big bloke myself, fortunately my wife and usual passenger is a slim ( and for the record highly attractive) occupant of the right hand seat. If I take my boofy mates for a fly we are over the P+P limit with no baggage and regardless of how much fuel I put in the tank.

Very few that I know of other than drifter style aircraft have a weight limit for pilot and pax. It just goes on the MTOW. I am 188cm tall and 125 kg. My Savannah is 315kg empty so at 560kg I have 120 kg for fuel and pax. I am about to upgrade my aircraft to the 600kg doing the mod and I now have 160kg free so I can take my mate who is 85kg and take 75kg of fuel almost 100 litres so happy days for me and all is way within the weight and balance by miles. It really is 95% of aircraft just the MTOW that dictates this

Mark

I seem to have a maximum loading per two seats, which doesn't make a lot of sense to me. I don't think that structurally the weight on seats alone would be different from seats plus luggage, which is right behind the seats. And if the limit is the seat structure or seat mountings then it would be a limit per seat, not per both seats. It matters, because I might be within all up weight and within CoG but not the seat plus seat limit, so am I insured?

Some design standards (E.g. BCAR-S) do require testing of seat strength so aircraft approved under these will have maximum (& minimum) occupant weights.

The ones I'm aware of on recreational types are between 100-120kg

I don't think LSA references the same requirement

Cheers

John

Guest Maj Millard

Pmccarthy, quite possible it is a weight in the middle of the wing consideration, which Probabily came from a design consideration , with respect to G loadings etc...........Maj...024_cool.gif.7a88a3168ebd868f5549631161e2b369.gif