Homeward Bound ... At Last

PaulN

We decided to hang about at Port until Tuesday after the Camden Haven fly-in. Maybe a good idea in hindsight, whaddayareckon Ross and Jack 049_sad.gif.af5e5c0993af131d9c5bfe880fbbc2a0.gif? Anyway, that meant a longer than expected wait as the weather between Port and Cooma, inland or coastal (esp coastal), gave threatening appearances saying "stay away" all week. So stay away we did, one of the benefits of retirement ... we have the time to spare as they say.

The upside is I got to know the Hastings District Flying Club crew better (they're a great bunch of people who give away wonderful trays of meat 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif) and am now a paid up member.

My new daily ritual of checking the BOM general reports each evening and aviation area and TAF reports each morning became established routine that week, as did the head shaking and murmuring. Finally things started looking promising for Sunday or Monday to make a break for it before the weather went crumby again in the south. I can't remember seeing that many fronts, one after the other, pushing through so persistently.

Sunday morning dawned with spectacular clear skies and light breeze at Port, even a little frost, but alas the reported winds, clouds, showers (rn and sn), severe turb and freezing levels tended to be a bit put-offish so we stayed put yet again.

By this Gwen was getting a bit twitchy (she's not a happy flyer if reports are not for near perfect conditions) so we did a midnight trip to Wauchope where she boarded the train for Canberra leaving me more scope for choosing conditions I'm happy to fly in. Back up at 0500 for the ritual weather report fetch ... only this time I was ready to go.

The night before I had submitted with NAIPS my plan to head home via the inland route but the morning report suggested too much cloud. I re-submitted for coastal with alt at 5000 between Camden Haven and Nobby's to stay above reported turb then 10000 over top of YSSY and direct to YSCB and then home. I have found it to be very helpful when negotiating with ATC to have a plan in place.

Off the ground at YCMH at 0815 (took an hour getting the CT started after flooding ... it's always hard to get started when cold) then up to 5000 to enjoy the lovely h/wind of 35kt thinking to myself "good thing I put on 110 litres" ... I like lots of reserve, for times just like this.

Approaching Willy I called Clearance "CT3841 at 5000 tracking coastal southbound, nil ATIS, request clearance to continue track at present alt" Following the usual back and forth chatting and squawking I was cleared to track straight over YWLM at 5500. Passing Willy I noticed this huge, I mean HUGE, a/c parked on the taxiway. Curiosity took hold so I called Willy TWR and asked what it was. "Antanov" came the friendly reply.

Passing Nobby's I was stunned by the number of ships waiting off shore for their turn to load. I took a quick count of 40 and that was only about half of what I could see.

Good to see though was the Pasha Bulka finally on its way.

Over top of Swansea Willy handed me off making it time to call Sydney Radar for clearance to climb and track over top direct for Canberra. As the BOM forecast severe turb below 10000 for this part of the journey my submitted plan showed A100 for preferred alt. Thankfully no problem for Sydney ATC. "Radar, CT3841 tracking Newcastle, Sydney, Canberra direct. This time over top Swansea. Received Delta, Request clearance to climb one zero thousand" His reply "CT3841, do you have an alternate plan if clearance is not available?" Now how should I answer that :;)4:? "Negative, 3841". "Stand by". Shortly after I'm up and over and on the way to Canberra. Brilliant views.

Soon enough the usual radio talk with Canberra Approach was done and I'm only minutes from Cooma.

In all a great 4.5 hour flight with clear air and no bumps until the last 12 minutes as I descended from 10000 to circuit height of 4100 at YCOM for a nice xwind touchdown. But, I really should have said no to that coffee before departing .... oh, the bladder pain :;)2:.

Relieved the bladder (twice), unloaded baggage, packed away the CT and off to town to meet Gwen off the bus at 1330. She didn't like it when I told her how smooth the flight was.

And now the cold, cold wind is howling outside again. So glad to be home at last.

Paul

Willy.jpg.91caa446af1b4b7eb152b7bf376e437a.jpg

Ships.jpg.46d82bec804725c5c755ceaf656bf254.jpg

1435449719_PashaBulka.jpg.c4982cbc1b1b8c512b61fee9951ce0d8.jpg

Sydney.jpg.c86c37beb235031f522f379d248d65d1.jpg

Welcome home Paul.

Great report.

Yep - waiting a week would have been great. I can retire in 6 years. I look forward to it.

You requested "ten zero thousand"? Now that is high!

Love that shot of Sydney. I'll have to talk to you more about procedures for those requests. I'm not confident enough to ask for something like that yet.

I guess it helps heaps to have a PPL and transponder.

See you soon.

Ross

Paul

That picture over Sydney - now tell me what would you do if you had an engine failure at that altitude 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif - you would just about glide to Cooma wouldn't you, or would you land her at Mascot and pay the landing fees - a double 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Great report Paul, I've have never thought to go straight over the top of Sydney... now it's on the list!!

On the way to Camden Haven I counted over 70 of those bulk carriers, it was certainly an unusual and awsome sight.

Glad you finally made it home. Hope to come down your way and catch up again soon.

Cheers,

Kaz

You requested "ten zero thousand"? Now that is high!

Just as well I had my dive tanks with me. Thanks Ross, that's fixed now.

I guess it helps heaps to have a PPL and transponder.

I suggest don't try it without.

Paul

i am willing to bet the Antanov at Williamtown was returning a F18 hornet from Canada where it underwent the first of the Centrebarrel replacements in the upgrade program, apart from that, great shots! if my tax return is as good as i hope, a new transponder in the vampire will be on order! over the top of Syd at 10K will be interesting in the vampire!!

Guest ozzie

would lower the cabin altitude real quick if the disc lets go.

i've cruised over sydney at those hights a few times and the view is always great. The best was on a clear winters night. brilliant.