GOOGLE EARTH.........TRIP PLANNING

Guest disperse

Guest disperse

im not flying yet but was wondering if anyone uses google earth to familierise themselves with the landscape before a new trip

it would seem like a great tool for picking out land marks and airfields from the sky . one example i can use is the katoomba airfield....once i saw it from google earth i can now pick it out from miles away

i know some of the pics are a little old but would definitly use it before a new trip..........WHEN I CAN FINALLY FLY:confused:

Disperse - if you click Airstrips on the blue horizontal menu across the top of the forums you have all the airstrips in Google Earth :big_grin:

I've used Google Earth to plan a flight I did to Tumut and back last August. It really helped to familiarise me with the terrain and major landmarks along the way. I also tried FS2004 but it lacked the correctness of detail that Google Earth has. Even though Google Earth lacked resolution along my intended flight path it still gave a good indication of what was forested and what was cleared for potential emergency landings.

Rgds,

Glen

Guest disperse

thanks Ian . thats what got me started with it because before that i didn,t even know there was a katoomba air strip ..... a very useful link indeed......Troy

i find FS2004 ok for pre-flying navs, but you have to get the Vista Oz scenery package, its free. not only are the graphic pretty good, but it also has the navaid frequencies and airspace so you can also familiarise yourself with the vertical nav part of the flight as well