Short Callsign

Has anyone else noticed a trend of shortning callsign numbers from 4 to 2?

What I mean is instead of

"Airfield traffic, Bearcat 1, 2, 3, 4 (one, two, three, four) - taxi for runway two three, Airfield"

we hear

"Airfield traffic, Bearcat 12, 34 (twelve, thirty four) - taxi for runway two three, Airfield"

I must admit I don't mind it (although I don't do it) - only 2 numbers to remember and it seems to flow better.

Comments ?

regards

Hi Pete,

From my experience it's not all that uncommon. My callsign is CT3841 (charlie tango three eight four one) and sometimes ATC responds with charlie tango thirty eight forty one. I have also noticed that controllers and other stations invariably get my numbers jumbled, perhaps because they're more familiar with the three alpha character format. On the occasions I have used the two groups of two numbers (38, 41), as you have identified, they are more easily understood and remembered by receiving stations ... so why not do it? Also, once I have establised communications with a station I more often than not drop the charlie tango thing and just call 38, 41. After all, abbreviating callsigns sensibly is an approved practice.

Perhaps this method of number calling is a spin off from the way in which the corporate guys make their calls. Rather than spitting out their three alpha identifiers they use their corporate name and flight number, like Jetcraft three sixty one or Rex two fifty three etc.

Paul

In my experience and knowing a few ATCs, they prefer to group characters (as Paul has mentioned) for memory and rhythm, we were Sportstar3978 which was always "Sportstar Thirty Nine Seventy Eight".

Similar to Paul, we actually found the numbers being dropped and just Sportstar being used...never found ourselves in the same controlled airspace as another Sportstar. The Canberra controllers sometimes had difficulty and confused the Sunstate callsigns with us as they use 4 digit flight numbers so regularly in Canberra you'd have us "Sportstar 39 78" in the same control zone as "Sunstate 14 15" or similar. Remember a few occasions when we became "Sunstate 39 78"...that always got a chuckle out of us and the controllers.

Matt.

Guest pelorus32

I'm aware that there have been some discussions with RAAus about this as well. At Shepparton we now have three Tecnams and you can imagine what happens with them all doing circuits at once - Tecnam 4673, Tecnam 4774, Tecnam 4543. The discussion is about options like dropping the Tecnam, grouping the numbers or going something like Tecnam 73. Still an open question as I understand it.

Good points that Paul and Matt make.

Mike

The correct callsign is type and then all four digits. Controllers may ask you to use another callsign if they find it likely to cause any problems, but stick with the correct way and you will be OK.

I noticed on Avweb today a safety feature that was extolling the virtues of double checking ATC clearances and saying "unable" to anything that was suspect.

One example given was concerning callsigns and readbacks. There were a couple of Piper Seminoles in the same area. Callsigns N304PA and N434PA. One was cleared down to 3500' and the other acknowledged using 4PA in his readback. The other plane and the controller never caught on to the discrepancy and the plane flew into the ground.

Use the full callsignunless advised otherwise by ATC.

Hi Pete,

ATC use a process called group form, which is basically the grouping of numbers into pairs or hundreds. If you have a 3 digit number than you group the second and third numbers.

So Bernie would be Vampire One Twenty Two

Tecnam Forty Six Seventy Three

Tecnam Thirty Two Zero Four

Virgin Seven Hundred

Virgin Seven Zero Two

As in the second Virgin and Tecnam callsigns, sometimes the numbers don't work in a group and are then left as single numbers.

You can call your call sign as single digits, I don't think it matters, but the ATC will probably come back using their phraseology. It's easier to say and hear and remember two numbers than four numbers. :)

Cheers,

Kaz

Could I urge all pilots to speak slowly and clearly when using your radio. Countless times I must ask for clarification as a message or call sign has been garbled. Perhaps instructors need to take greater note of students and their radio work.

Agree with shortening RAA callsigns when there's no liklihood of confusion with anyone else's, eg,

' JABIRU 6688 ' could easily reduce to 'JABIRU 88'

Seems sensible to leave in the aircraft make so that others looking for you have a better chance of identifying the correct aircraft.

It's a necessary discipline to make sure that the mike button is not keyed too late/early, causing 'clipping' of the Tx. Students need to practice lots more than just in the aircraft on the day. I remember spending lots of time practicing my calls in the car before being briefed....and that was back in 1963 when traffic was much lighter than present. Once you've actually voiced the calls aloud, it becomes so much easier to do it airborne. Instructors can only lead the horse to water.

happy days,