OMG

Deskpilot

Guest Andys@coffs

Hey that is pretty spectacular! I'll bet he may have loaded one or 2 before that video was shot.....and I'll bet the 1st one or 2 he ever did weren't that smooth and fast.......given the time between collection and back for the next the guys chopping them down wouldn't be having a smoko between each tree!

I suspect that given the ultimate end point user will be a std 8ft ceiling household that inertia probably isn't that big of an issue...

... but what if that release mechanism failed to operate cleanly. Don't want to think about it.

They use a weak link on the strop that will break and prevent anything catastrophic, a bit like the weak link on a glider tow rope.

.......given the time between collection and back for the next the guys chopping them down wouldn't be having a smoko between each tree!

They look like bundles of trees that have been cut and banded previously, so probably a lot heavier than a single tree at a time.

That is a remarkable bit of flying and all the more so when you bear in mind that he's using a B206L Longranger which has a teetering head and is subject to mast bumping, so his flying has to be very fluid and smooth. It would be easier with a Hughes or MD 500 with their articulated head. Great stuff to see, thanks DP.

I've seen some video of guys in NZ doing similar drops of nets full of culled feral pigs into a mobile slaughter house, they swing the load straight in through the front door and the carcasses land on the butchering table.

• Informative 1

Probably not as crazy as it looks; beyond the time factor, I think by keeping the helicopter moving it is far more efficient for the aircraft as well. First: all turns are to the left which means more power to play with and by keeping the aircraft moving they are closer to translational lift (or in it) reducing power requirements again and associated secondary effects (heat). Less time in the hover and those high power demands... All things considered he is not going real crazy on the controls; everything looks smooth and well balanced. So the inertia on the load is reflective of the management of the inertia and G's on the aircraft. Looks like a pretty light load too.

Sort of like Hoovers glass of water on the dash roll trick. Looks pretty wild but the A/C never sees much more than 1g.

Having said that... some very skillful piloting and stick work!

• Agree 1