LightWing wanted

Riley

I'm shopping for a suitable airframe to hang a round engine on. Do any of you Lightwing afficionados in this great land have knowledge of a decent unloved or un-used GA or GR model sitting in a hangar/shed anywhere that looks like it would benefit from a re-work? Wiling and able to travel anywhere to consumate a purchase. The Maj reckons I've go no show but I'm hoping we can prove him wrong. Send me the rego number and I'll check it out w/ the owner. Help! cheers Riley

I know where there is one that has been dismantled. The frame needs to be straightened (or it may have already been) and one wing needs a little work. Went through a fence one time and while insurance paid out, it was never repaired. Just dismantled... it would be a GR912T.

• Like 1

OK guys, I've only been on the hunt for less than a week and so far I've responded to the following tips from forumites.....

- a ground-looped Lightwing thats been in a hangar in Qld for some time. Owner doesn't wish to part with it.

- a fabricator on the Gold Coast who can build a fuselage to my specs. (too ambitious for my bank account).

- a Slepcev Storch which unfortunately had been sold some time previously.

- a Lightwing that will be coming on the market but not for a year at least.

So..... nothing positive yet but there must be more candidates out there awaiting clarification. Rattle your memories and think about what tales you've heard or knowledge you may have of a hi-wing taildragger that needs a new lease on life. The search continues and thanks to those who have already responded. cheers Riley

• Caution 1

• 4 weeks later...

HI-WING TAIL DRAGGER PROJECT WANTED (not restricted to LightWing)

Four weeks since my first 'wanted' and still no joy so figured it appropriate to poke the fire again. The Maj is ferreting details on a few slim leads in Qld but apart from that .... Nowt! I accept that the silly season causes the timing to be most unpropitious but I've been haunting the internet and have twice been 'too late and/or too far" for a couple of possibilities so the hunt continues. Therefore I repeat my plea - I'll follow up any tips or suggestions no matter how remote and will travel anywhere in OZ to acquire a suitable candidate. Anything that's RAA Cat 19 registerable and sitting un-used and forlorn in a hangar is worth asking about. (Old chinese saying - "Don't ask? - Don't get Lah!"). I don't need FWF and I'd be wiling to consider some fuselage/structural repairs. Tax your memories Folks and shower me with masses of messages. cheers Riley

There's a very nice looking RAA reg Lightwing (Aeropower, 520 hrs TT) for sale at Serpentine. It's airworthy so may not be what you're looking for, but I can get you more details if interested.

rgmwa

There's a very nice looking RAA reg Lightwing (Aeropower, 520 hrs TT) for sale at Serpentine. It's airworthy so may not be what you're looking for, but I can get you more details if interested.rgmwa

Tks RMGA. I'm guessing you're referring to John R's GA55 hangared on the back row at Serpentine? If so, we've already had discussions some weeks back and I had a pleasant morning visiting and viewing before Xmas. I agree, it is a very well kept and nicely presented little machine and I'd snatch it in a New York minute but alas, John obviously deserves to expect a good market price for his A1 flying machine rather than what I'm hoping to outlay for a 'project' proposition. If I'm off base, smack me on the back of the head and forward me the contact details. Again, my thanks for the response. cheers Riley

[ATTACH=full]26842[/ATTACH] [ATTACH=full]26841[/ATTACH]most who own lightwing dont part with them I know I did a bit of scrounging around to fine my project 2 years ago ''''' now my pride and joy

Here's the irony Doug, my GR912 Lightwing (55-3658) is currently up for sale so some bodgies actually do quit them occasionally, (selling the Lightwing was part of the deal I made with the wife when the Aeronca Champ followed me home - it's just taken about 18 months to action the plan and she'll doubt my veracity if I stretch it out much more). Whilst it would be a lot quicker and easier and probably not too much more expensive, I could hang the radial on 3658 but I won't cannibalize this perfect example in order to build a boy's toy 'Special'. So, like yourself and with the help of others, I too will keep scrounging till I find a suitable project. 0632 looks far prettier now than she did in the 'Across Oz' documentary. Well done. cheers Riley

Here's the irony Doug, my GR912 Lightwing (55-3658) is currently up for sale so some bodgies actually do quit them occasionally, (selling the Lightwing was part of the deal I made with the wife when the Aeronca Champ followed me home - it's just taken about 18 months to action the plan and she'll doubt my veracity if I stretch it out much more). Whilst it would be a lot quicker and easier and probably not too much more expensive, I could hang the radial on 3658 but I won't cannibalize this perfect example in order to build a boy's toy 'Special'. So, like yourself and with the help of others, I too will keep scrounging till I find a suitable project. 0632 looks far prettier now than she did in the 'Across Oz' documentary. Well done. cheers Riley

Most are far and between but I have to admit there are the odd one that pop up now and then like yours that have been superseated for enothe or boss has spoken

I know where one is. It's less engine needs repaires. Just waiting to find out more info.

When you get something thommo, I'm all ears. Tks for the glimmer of encouragement. cheers Riley