New BOM Radar

Downunder

Guest Fred Bear

Yes, I did their survey on it on their site too. I added that the lightning overlay would be an awesome idea too!

Doppler Wind Radar too...

Ok... try number 5 ;) as was being 'dropped-out' eveytime I tried to write a reply over the past day or so... (I note the problem appears to have been fixed though ;)).

Re the new additions to the BoM weather radar... the Brisbane radar now has a Doppler Wind display similar to how the rain is displayed, a very impressive show indeed.

Only thing is I wondering how they read and are able to show both wind direction and wind strength as I was not aware that radar(s) were able to indicate wind?

Cheers,

G'day David,

Thanks, I'll check out their ops...

The only new radar equipment that I'm aware of that has only just been installed in the past month or so is a new doppler weather radar located just to the south (roughly) from Brisbane.

This unit is a different unit to the new Dopple radar now being used as the main weather radar around the Brisbane area that is sited south-east of Brisbane on Mt Stapylton.

What they are using this new doppler weather radar for, I don't know. It may be just a coincidence but the Doppler Wind service appears to have come on-line around the same time that this southern unit appearred... hmmm. any thoughts?

Cheers for now.

Guest Fred Bear

For the wind I think you will find the wind speed and direction is measured by automatic weather stations (AWS) then just overlayed onto that radar map/image.

Brisbane BoM Weather/Wind Radar..?

G'day Darren,

Think there may be more to a than the auto weather station readings as image (as shown) appears to cover where-ever there in wind is...

Either way, the service is impressive and quite possibly quite helpful to aviators especially if one has a PDA/Smartphone or other electronic device that is able to call up the internet whilst flying and be able to check the wind and rain :;)3: :)

Cheers 'Team' 025_blush.gif.9304aaf8465a2b6ab5171f41c5565775.gif

1883367185_NewDopplerWindRadarImage.jpg.1be02f3c27d6b011a465ea093ccd2b13.jpg

The Help on the BOM site explains that the wind speed is derived from the new Doppler radars, but it implies it detects the moving rain particles and so maybe only shows wind when there is rain - not sure on that.

It also comes with a caveat that it can only detect the component of wind speed in the direction radially from the radar site which may not be anywhere near the actual wind direction.

Ron

Guest Fred Bear

Ok did not realise. You guys up there have that privilege of the doppler wind radar for the Brissy site. We have only the AWS overlays here in Sydney no doppler wind profiling. That added would be good. Just have to stick with what is there for now. Who says Brissy is behind and NSW is a step ahead? 006_laugh.gif.0f7b82c13a0ec29502c5fb56c616f069.gif

Latest Doppler Rain/Wind Imaging...

Hi 'team' :)

Looks as if the new BoM doppler weather (Brisbane/south east Queensland area) may be quite an asset if these images (just taken) are any indication of using the radars wind analysis is anything to go by. Looking at both images the rain radar image shows only very light overal rain or moisture but when looking at the same view using the wind radar image the situation appears to be more informitive.

Either way it would appear the use of this system could help us recreational/ultralight aviators in understanding and or deciding flight one's activity... :;)3:

Cheers,

1802662780_DopplerRain.png.c8fe60eda79b7072bf987c32234bbb90.png

1550702734_DopplerWind.png.ed0feae91cba36c1b36fa6dcb7a25f01.png