My Sav S throttles

rick morawski

Hi Eric. I'm building a Savannah S. I didn't really like the cable set up either. It would probably work better if the cables were attached one on the LH side, and the other on the RH side, which is quite doable, but I really like the push/pull rod arrangement. It remains to be seen if there is enough engine movement to inadvertently affect the throttle operation, but by all accounts, with the "ring engine mount" system, it works well. Just last week I finished making the throttle set up using push/pull rods. As far as the hardware part numbers goes, I used what Rick posted regarding the rod-end bearings. (There's a RH threaded one and a LH threaded one for each push rod, which enables very accurate adjustment) Having access to a lathe is very helpful. You also need to purchase a LH thread tap. I purchased all of the hardware, including the LH tap, from Aircraft Spruce in USA. In addition to the rod-end bearings, you will need four "check nuts", that lock the bearings in place. (2x RH, 2x LH) For my rods, I used aluminium tube 0.500" x 0.058" 6061-T6, and turned up on the lathe the threaded inserts for the bearings to screw into. The inserts are held in place with rivets. I fitted my rods to the outside of the "fingers". It would be better to fit them to the inside though. To do this on the RH side is easy. In order to do this on the LH side requires removal of the throttle cable bracket. I didn't wish to do this just in case I need to revert back to the original cable throttle arrangement. Here's a couple of pics of my set up.

I am very happy with the finished product, BUT PLEASE NOTE, I have just posted this to show what I have done. It is intended for information only. If you don't have the technical know how and access to machinery, then you are better off to stick with ICP's cable system.

image.jpeg.e353ae09df89ed7899a006bc6bd2be82.jpeg

image.jpeg.ad3bc2fb60b32e292ee414a6129b90cc.jpeg

• Informative 1

This cable, especially designed for the 912 dual carb engines works really well, and carbs stay in balance long time. Top quality construction and really easy installation. I've used one for years and several other 912 owners have also found them to be excellent, three more owners at our airfield are installing them right now. Only have one throttle knob in the cockpit, but the pax can reach across if needed.

McFarlane Aviation

McFarlane Aviation - Rotax Throttle Controls - Panel Mount

You need the six foot model to reach the far carb properly.

• Agree 1

I have just got one of the Mcfarlane dual cables in that I am going to fit to Mabel. I never use the pax side throttle bar only to try to get the idle lower when landing its a pain in the bum. The Mcfarlane will stop that and I will just have the 1 throttle. The same as JG has posted

McFarlane Aviation CONTROL, Throttle, Dual, 6 ft - Part Number: MCT100D072

Mark

• Agree 1

Yes Perry. Denice is just organising the hire car now..all flights have been booked etc. We get to Auckland on the thursday the 8th of Feb arrive about 12.30pm. Will drive to Tokoroa and be there and abouts until mid sunday morning then we will start the rest of the trip. We fly back out of Auckland on the 17th at 4.00 pm so have a good half a day there. Looking forward to catching up with you guys over there. We will probably do a big loop around from greymouth to Napier...although not sure yet as we like to keep the actual trip open to do whatever we think of or comes up. No real plans except to catch up with all of you guys over there being the only thing we are going to make sure we do. We have been to NZ 4 times already. Twice to the North and twice to the south. This trip was to catch up with some aussie jet modeler guys coming across for the jet weekend and also all the NZ jet guys I know there as well. its been about 7 years since we have been over that way last.

I AM JUST PUTTING MY MCFARLANE THROTTLE ON THE PILOT SIDE EXACTLY WHERE THE ICP ONE IS. I WILL NOT HAVE A SECOND ONE ON THE PAX SIDE. I AM MAKING A NEW DASH FOR MABEL SO ITS NO SKIN OFF MY NOSE WHERE I PUT IT REALLY BUT I FIND IT MORE COMFORTABLE IN MY LEFT HAND AND MY RIGHT HAND ON THE STICK....BETWEEN MY LEGS :)...I LOVE MY DUAL STICKS :)...oops bugger..caps sorry but types too much and dont want to retype it

Thanks again Mark,

so I will try to do it the same way. If my inspector objects I can still move it to the middle.

I just finished my flight school and have lerned to fly trottle left - stick right.... so best to keep it that way.

Have you considered the vernier version of the throttle?

McFarlane Aviation CONTROL, Throttle Vernier-Assist, Dual, 6 ft - Part Number: MCTV0005D072

I will put my throttle on the left side as I prefer it that way even with the between the legs sticks. I am more right handed than left and pretty much all my flying has been like that. Even in gliders the airbrakes were on the left. I think the vernier is overkill. I have tried the friction lock on this one I have here and it will work perfectly and pretty much be exactly like the std Savannah one anyway. The only difference of course is there will be no right hand throttle in the cabin